Upon its release, I immediately had visions of a brand new GW in a couple of years. DCT, airbag model.

Over the winter, I slowly worked through the installation of Tridium LED fog lights, Baker wings, a new front tire, and a heated Corbin seat.

I really enjoyed working on the bike, researching how to do things using this site and You Tube, putting my amateur engineering hat on to come up with creative solutions. Plus, this bike, as you know, is relatively easy to work on.

With about 700 miles so far this Spring, I have realized that this 2013 F6B is a pretty nice machine for what it is. An old design that dates back to the Clinton administration, it handles very well, rides reasonably good, and with the features I have added, have made it borderline luxury bike. I just sit back in my Corbin seat, enjoy the breeze with little or no buffeting thanks to my Stadmad, jamming tunes, looking around knowing that I am one of the more visible bikes with all of my lights...while realizing that you don't need a $30,000 machine to create this experience.

No ABS.

Yes, that is a big concern of mine. However, I am not certain that ABS is worth nearly $20,000, which is what it would cost to upgrade. Instead, I am taking that money and investing in more safety through visibility; best helmets and gear; I am signed up for the Advanced Rider Course, will probably attend a Ride Like a Pro course one of these days, and other training.

No Cruise.

It's true, I wish I had it. However, there are many options. If I really felt like it, I would drop $1k on one of those electronic aftermarket units from Australia (forgot the name). Still way cheaper than a new Wing.

So, why bother with the new one? I like the fact that I have invested my own time, money, creativity and energy into this one. Of its roughly 16,800 miles, I am the rider of each and every one of those miles. There's something about that I like.

Another thing I have noticed - all of the quirks of this 20 year old design - the saddlebag design, for example - are now kinda "aww, they meant well" in my mind. No longer annoying, these features pale in comparison to the absolute bulletproof reliability, decades-old network of know-how and aftermarket, you guys and gals, and the fact it still is quite a pleasure to ride...perhaps the new Wing is 10% better than mine...but that's not enough for me.

I'll just keep riding this one into the sunset.