Arizona and New Mexico 2-8 May

Thread: Arizona and New Mexico 2-8 May

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Excellent itinerary. West of Socorro, N.M. the Very Large Array radio telescope is worth a stop. You can't miss it with the huge antennas right next US-60. The amount of science that went into creating this is unbelievable.

Riding US-191 (the Devil's Highway) northbound in my opinion is a much more enjoyable experience than riding it southbound. The town of Clifton is a great place to poke around for a little while. Chase Creek street, the main street of Clifton is like stepping back in time a hundred years. the old jail across from the railroad station is also very neat. The Morenci Mine is unbelievable. You can see one of the maintenance facilities right next to the road and the mine trucks are huge. They have a capacity of 230 tons. It is hard to imagine how much ore is carried out of the mine when it is 460,000 lbs a truck load. There is also a viewing area where you can look into the pit. It is amazing.

US-180 from Alpine, Az to Silver City N.M. is another good ride but watch for tar snakes. NM-152 is also fun road

And lastly the Buckhorn Tavern in San Antonio N.M. is a place I will ride out of my way to visit. You are right the green chili cheeseburgers are the best.

It should be a great trip, you seem to have put a lot of though into it and have chosen some very great roads. Have a ball
    Last edited by Az Wingrider; 04-30-2018 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks AZ. I think that road used to be US-666 before -191, thus the Devils Highway. I’ve ridden it several times in both directions, heading north is absolutely the best way. Looking like the weather is going to be nice.

Enjoy the ride and be safe avoiding the smartphone gawkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewreck View Post
    Enjoy the ride and be safe avoiding the smartphone gawkers.
    Absolutely. Just so many inattentive drivers. We were planning to stay in Cortez tonight, but good chance of some snow on Monarch and around Telluride today. So, the southern route. We've had to do this kind of change many times for spring rides. Will be great as we get south.
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by F6Bster View Post
    Absolutely. Just so many inattentive drivers. We were planning to stay in Cortez tonight, but good chance of some snow on Monarch and around Telluride today. So, the southern route. We've had to do this kind of change many times for spring rides. Will be great as we get south.
    I putted through some slush last Wednesday on my way to Laughlin. Not a fan of snow on a bike. The road salt splattered all over me n the bike sucked also.