Sturgis 2018
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sturgis 2018

Sturgis 2018

Finally booked our place for the Sturgis rally this year. We are staying near Custer SD. This is our first time traveling to this area.

My question is, with so much to do surrounding the rally and in the area what are some of your favorite "must see/do" things? Our plan is to mix it up between downtown Sturgis and riding to sights. We plan to arrive the 4th and leave the 11th. None of us are afraid to put miles on so even a day ride to something would work.

I am mostly curious to hear what your favorite thing in the area would be if you could just pick one.

Also any tips you have to offer would be appreciated. (like avoid ____, or make sure you bring ____, etc. .. anything out of the ordinary)

Thanks.
    When that open road starts to callin’ me,
    There’s something over the hill that I gotta see

~Hank Williams

Needles highway and Iron Mountain highway. just be careful. a lot of people go to that rally that do NOT know how to ride a motorcycle. A LOT !
    What? Coffee ISN'T free?

Rode-map

The Black Hills is a wonderful place to visit, but you see the area best in June and September when it is not so hot and not so many people. I have been to the Sturgis Rally several times and you go to take in the rally stuff, and there is a lot. You will be able to do some sightseeing that week, but there are so many people everywhere that it can be pretty crazy. Some friends and I (about 5 bikes) are going to the Black Hills the 2nd week in July. Really looking forward to it. My recommendations for you:

• Needles Highway
    • Custer State Park Wildlife Loop
    • Iron Mountain Road (could swing into Keystone for an early lunch)
    • Mount Rushmore
    • Deadwood
    • Sturgis of course
    • Vanocker Canyon (best headed south out of Strugis)
    • Spearfish Canyon
    • Nemo Road
    • Devils Tower (not to be missed -- the ride out from Belle Fourche is great)
    • Badlands National Park
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

Don't miss Cave Creek. The town rocks. Also the Buffalo Chip and Full Throttle Saloon have great bands. Enjoy and ride safe!

Good evening Mr. Sutton will you be camping or hotel ? You will close to Crazy Horse and Mt Rushmore it will be a little ride to town of Sturgis. Black hills Harley has a lot of shopping stuff to buy....

Thank you to all for the suggestions. Thankfully I have some time to look into them and to plan.

My wife and I are traveling with two other couples. We rented a house just outside Custer. A few years back we got a travel trailer and my wife doesn’t like to tent anymore, so, unless I’m solo the tent gathers dust. The six of us rode to Daytona bike week last year as well. The two guys and I have ridden dirt and pavement together for a long time.

I think I definitely want to see crazy horse. I was hoping staying a little ways out from the rally would reduce the number of people ..... and idiots. It doesn’t sound promising.....
    Last edited by P.Sutton; 05-09-2018 at 06:02 AM.

You will have fun, but being "just outside Custer", doesn't get you away from the craziness. The whole area, say 70 miles around from Sturgis, is all crazy. Custer Lead, Deadwood, Spearfish, Rapid City, Hill City, Keystone, are all crazy, and jam packed with cycles. Just allow yourself plenty of time to get from place to place. The Black Hills has become a "premier" area for off-road vehicle, too, like ATV's UTV's, Side by Sides, etc. They fill the campgrounds, when the Sturgis Rally is NOT on.

If Bear Country is still open they have / had cars for bikers, large RVs to use to drive through the park.

My recommendation is to go off rally. Better sightseeing/riding, less idiots. Oh, and Crazy Horse is very cool.

All of the suggestions are spot on. After 2 trips to the rally, I would say riding the Black Hills is much better and important than being in Sturgis. One or two days in Sturgis is enough. I thought I was going for the Rally, but was blown away by the Black HIlls. If I go again, I may go in early September wen it is cooler and no one is there. Also, be careful in Sturgis: police are everywhere. Do not drink (to excess) and ride. Two of my friends had problems (which they created). I had to bail one out. The police are just trying to keep people safe, but you don't want to ruin your trip by getting locked up for an evening.
    The ride to Devils Tower was nice, but the focus should be on the Black Hills; also, there is a huge rally at the HD dealer in Rapid City.