Sturgis 2018 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sturgis 2018

I have been to the Rally a number of times, always got their the Wednesday before it starts, to get in some riding before it turns into a shtshw and then usually leave the next Tuesday. Have also been their in early/mid Sept, after the bikes and family vans are gone, enjoyed that the most.
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

Last time I went to the Black Hills we went the week after Labor Day. What we found is that many things shut down after Labor Day. Tuesday they were closed for the season. Make your plans ahead of time and call. We had desided to make the trip a week before. Our plan was to shoot from the hip. We had a few disappointments of things we wanted to see and places we would have liked to stay. The day we started our return, the wife wanted to do the Bad lands loupe until she was told that the temps that day would be near 120*. Scratch that idea. As we pull off for gas in Chamberlain S D the bank sign read 105*. They say it’s a dry heat. Ya.

All have been good suggestions. If you like to people watch and have time, spend a few hours downtown Sturgis. There's a constant parade of bikes coming and going. Can be entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by carpdm View Post
    All have been good suggestions. If you like to people watch and have time, spend a few hours downtown Sturgis. There's a constant parade of bikes coming and going. Can be entertaining.
    Not sure whether I will be solo or with others or if I will even be able to go, relationship status in life has changed and the dog and who will take care of her, has to be taken into consideration. But for me, after having rode the area a quite a few times, the people watching is as much fun as the riding and considering the number of numbnuts on new bikes, safer.
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

After going many times many years I have found that a week early,
    or a week late is the same, and the thing to do.
    Same drunk people, same sites, same roads, same beautiful ride!
    BUT the hotel rates go back to near normal.
    800 a week, (and way more) is a LOT of cash!
    Next-
    It is not quite a crowded. Almost.
    If you go at the appointed time there is a line and crowd for everything.
    The only way to do a ride is get up EARLY!
    or the 25 MPH white knuckle club will be there going sooooo slow everywhere.
    They trailered their POS in to be seen.
    Now they plug up every road.
    I miss the good old days when people were scorned for trailering.......

So I printed up info on all the suggestions thus far. Thanks again for everyone’s input. As the time nears I’ll get our group together and make some final decisions.

I am usually awake first in our group. I like to make the most of my vacation time and to me sleeping in is a waste! My wife doesn’t usually agree so I generally get a short morning ride in and return when they get up. Or wash the bike etc.

Trailering at this point is not an option! I love to ride and as long as I am able (I’m 33) I try to take advantage of every opportunity. I know that at some point age will catch up but until then .....

At least it won’t be hovering around freezing and sleeting like our Daytona bike week trip. That makes for a sketchy ride through the mountains. I do hope to hit some of the bigger rally’s during the event just to have that experience. I would say if I were to visit again it may be off rally.
    When that open road starts to callin’ me,
    There’s something over the hill that I gotta see

~Hank Williams

Looking for a place to “hang”

So my brother and a buddy of ours leave for sturgis this upcoming Thursday afternoon. We hope to find a place to hang a few hammocks about 4-6 hrs from the Cleveland area. We are all backpackers/hikers and are simply looking for somewhere to cash out for a few hours.

Any suggestions? Even if we have to be ground dwellers for a night and rough it in a tent. All suggestions/offers welcome!

Thanks.
    When that open road starts to callin’ me,
    There’s something over the hill that I gotta see

~Hank Williams

Just got back from Sturgis....Make sure you ride Spearfish Canyon! Very scenic and drops you smack dab into Deadwood which is way cooler than Sturgis anyhow...
    Made it home to San Jose in 2 days again....The F6B is a mile eater...
    a1scoot

When you left Sturgis which way did you go back to SJ?

Rode thru Rapid City...on to 385 down thru Nebraska...picked up I 80 and blasted home...
    a1scoot