Ghost shift without input from me - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ghost shift without input from me

In some of the discussions over the years, some started having problems when they changed foot gear. My understanding is that the cuts on the “dogs” on the transmission gears were changed in 2014. On a side Q, when was your last fluid change for the clutch.

Pretty much all the "ghost shifting" has boiled down to some sort of operator "error."

The coating that Honda puts on the gears was changed, I believe, after the 2013 model year for some reason...Perhaps to reduce this so-called "ghost shifting" as a few have reported....I would look into this info if these shifts become more frequent and see what Honda has to say.....As I said on an earlier post this has only happened once or twice to me over 4 years, but I only have 14,300 miles on the bike....Regards and ride safe....

Mine used to ghost shift enough to make me paranoid. It was always a drop from 5th to 4th, unexpectedly.

After the bike had about 5,000 miles on it, this phenomenon has all but completely disappeared. Currently has ~17,000 miles on it and I cannot remember the last time it happened.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

One more thing ... as I learned on this forum awhile back ... one must be a little more aggressive with the throttle and shifting to keep gear changes smooth. Not sure why, but it is just the way bike is. I don't mean shifting at 4000 rpm, but being more deliberate with the roll-on in each gear, and waiting until at least 2000 rpm to shift (even though the motor creates enough torque to shift at 1800 rpm and still keep up with traffic).

I came off a VStar 1100, and with that bike, one could be lazy with shifts and throttle inputs in each gear as it would just clunk its way through each gear with minimal toe pressure on the lever.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

It never happened until now after 36000 miles with no problems ever before this!!!!!
    I can't believe that I have been shifting lazy 10 - 15 times during the last week.
    Something is wrong it is not lazy shifting all of the sudden after 36000 miles?????
    stevenolts

Let us know what the dealer says when you get it back from the shop. Are you still under factory warranty?

My 15 has shifted on it own about three times in the 20K I've had it. Most recently it went from 5th to 4th on it's own while riding consistent about 50 MPH. Have not worried too much about it and still have until August to decide on the extended coverage.

I've experienced this a few times with my '14 over the years. It first happened somewhere around the 25-35k miles mark. I honestly believe it was pilot error... i.e. being lazy when shifting. It's probably happened maybe a half-dozen times in 80k miles... but it's never really unexpected because I know when I've screwed up the shift on my own. So... there it is.

Ride safe!
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

Happened on my 2016 with 2500 miles just this past week. It was on a lazy back road ride. I up-shifted, a moment later it downshifted, then shifted back to original gear. I assumed I hadn't pushed it fully into gear.