Camping Tent recommendations?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping Tent recommendations?

Camping Tent recommendations?

I am planning a trip this September where I will be camping out for about 3 nights. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good but not crazy priced tent? i am looking for a 2 person, dome tent for 3 seasons.
    I will also be looking for a comfortable bed roll.
    This will be my first time camping with a scoot, so I am planning this now to avoid mistakes.

Check Wally world has about the best prices and choices for those items.. If your traveling you can possible buy on the road

The best tents for motorcycle camping are backpacking tents. The backpacking tents are light and pack up small. I agree that dome tents are best. Also if you are planning on two people in the tent you will need a three person tent. Two person tents have enough room for two sleeping bags very close together and not much else, a three person tent will sleep two with room for some gear. I personally prefer a four person tent for several reasons. There is plenty of room for me and my gear, They are tall enough I can stand up to put my clothes on (standing hunched over but at least not having to dress laying on my back), they are a much less claustrophobic place to sit out a rainy day and lastly when packed they are not much bigger than a two person tent.

I don't know what your budget is but price is most often directly related to quality. Personally I won't buy a tent with fiberglass poles because they fracture to easily. The durability of aluminum poles is ten times better. Also I want my tent to have clips to attach the tent to the poles because sleeves for the poles will take a lot more time and will literally fail much sooner than clips. Sleeves will also drive you up a wall. I feel that a bathtub floor is necessary to prevent leaks when it rains. Also I always use a footprint or a light tarp under the tent to save wear on the tent floor.

All the features I mentioned are not found on bargain priced tents. I currently camp with an REI Camp Dome 4 which is a medium priced tent that lists for about $200.00 but can be found on sale occasionally. Alps Mountaineering makes a quality tent for a little less money and they make Two, Two Plus, Three and Four person tents.

I shop for most of my camping gear at REI and I recommend them. The personnel there are knowledgeable, if you become a member your points which amount to about 10% of your spending can be cashed in once a year on any item and anything bought at REI can be returned during the first year for a full refund with no questions asked.

After all I have said if this going to be a one time experience a Walmart tent will be a much cheaper option and will get the job done. Another option if this is a one time deal would be to rent a tent from a local camping rental store.

I hope you enjoy your motorcycle camping trip. There are a lot of bikers that feel that motorcycles and camping are a natural fit and you will meet more people camping than hoteling it.

Enjoy
    Az Wingrider
    Last edited by Az Wingrider; 05-09-2018 at 10:29 PM.

+1 Wingrider choosing a tent is like picking tires or oil lol.

Thanks for the advice. Amazing what one learns from experience. The tent is for me alone, but I am 65" and a 2 person tent makes sense. I like quality stuff, but your comment that if this is a one time deal, then go to Walmart... Good advice. My next camping trip will likely be to a Marriott...

I sure like my double tall blow up do, I mean mattress. but then I am old and that tall mattress makes all the difference in getting up and or putting your shoes on. Also a plastic piss urinal thing is nice when you don't have to get up , just roll on your side...
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

Bet AMAZON has them

Two options... I have used this Coleman tent for 5 years and still like new. 4 person. anything smaller makes it too crowded and it takes up the same space as a 2 person tent. Has higher ceiling than a offbrand tent and be sure to get the rainfly like this so it breathes.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coleman-Rea...2419%7Ciid%3A1

OPTION #2.... A hammock which takes up almost no space. One with a mosquito net and extra long. My brother uses one of these for week trips on the Blue Ridge Parway & the Smokeys. Goes hiking to the mountain tops for days. Says very comfortable and will never use a tent again. No need for sleeping bag and all the extras.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&_odkw=hammock

I am also 65, camp from 2 wheels a bit. I use an inflatable twin mattress and it makes a big difference for old bones.

I'm 72 and use a Taurine 2 tent I bought from LLbean on sale. I use it when I'm enroute to somewhere but stay at a hotel or with friends when I get to my destination. Get all the room you can carry. You really need headroom when sitting up. The first time you have to get dressed in the tent, in the rain, you'll appreciate it. Make sure it has watertight construction with fully taped fly, taped perimeter seam, welded corners and welded guy clip anchors. It should also have a fly but you don't have to have a vestibule.

I have to admit, my back and knees don't like it to much anymore but it beats $200/night.
    "... there may be more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than dreamt of in your philosophy."

2016 Honda Goldwing F6B
    Traxxion Mega Monty

1975 Honda Goldwing GL1000
    16K, all original