Camping Tent recommendations?

Thread: Camping Tent recommendations?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The best tents for motorcycle camping are backpacking tents. The backpacking tents are light and pack up small. I agree that dome tents are best. Also if you are planning on two people in the tent you will need a three person tent. Two person tents have enough room for two sleeping bags very close together and not much else, a three person tent will sleep two with room for some gear. I personally prefer a four person tent for several reasons. There is plenty of room for me and my gear, They are tall enough I can stand up to put my clothes on (standing hunched over but at least not having to dress laying on my back), they are a much less claustrophobic place to sit out a rainy day and lastly when packed they are not much bigger than a two person tent.

I don't know what your budget is but price is most often directly related to quality. Personally I won't buy a tent with fiberglass poles because they fracture to easily. The durability of aluminum poles is ten times better. Also I want my tent to have clips to attach the tent to the poles because sleeves for the poles will take a lot more time and will literally fail much sooner than clips. Sleeves will also drive you up a wall. I feel that a bathtub floor is necessary to prevent leaks when it rains. Also I always use a footprint or a light tarp under the tent to save wear on the tent floor.

All the features I mentioned are not found on bargain priced tents. I currently camp with an REI Camp Dome 4 which is a medium priced tent that lists for about $200.00 but can be found on sale occasionally. Alps Mountaineering makes a quality tent for a little less money and they make Two, Two Plus, Three and Four person tents.

I shop for most of my camping gear at REI and I recommend them. The personnel there are knowledgeable, if you become a member your points which amount to about 10% of your spending can be cashed in once a year on any item and anything bought at REI can be returned during the first year for a full refund with no questions asked.

After all I have said if this going to be a one time experience a Walmart tent will be a much cheaper option and will get the job done. Another option if this is a one time deal would be to rent a tent from a local camping rental store.

I hope you enjoy your motorcycle camping trip. There are a lot of bikers that feel that motorcycles and camping are a natural fit and you will meet more people camping than hoteling it.

Enjoy
    Az Wingrider
    Last edited by Az Wingrider; 05-09-2018 at 10:29 PM.