Putting a smile on my face

Thread: Putting a smile on my face

Putting a smile on my face

Went out yesterday for my second time this year on the bike. Spring has been very late coming this year.
    Rode out to the Hocking Hills area, it’s a very popular spot for bikers of all kinds.
    It takes me about an hour and a half to get there from where I’m at on 65-75 mph freeways and interstates. It always amazes me how easily this bike completely devoures freeways. I can’t imagine being on anything other than a goldwing platform.
    After arriving at the Hocking area and deep in the hills with the steep elevation changes, twisting roads and spectacular spring scenery.., again, this bike is a complete pleasure to pilot.
    You could knit pick about this or that, or you could get a Harley and really have something to complain about.
    Last edited by soupbean; 05-13-2018 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Adding photo

I love these bikes. With all the hype about the new Gold Wing and all the technology and infotainment system, I have to admit, I was looking for deals. The problem is no other bike fits me as well as the F6B. I just love the ergos and the feel of this bike

I had previously wanted Sirius xm, and hooked up a portable unit I had lying around, stuffing the wires in the glove box. Between that a GPS and a phone, it was too many wires and too much to set up each time I stopped on a recent two day trip.
    I just put a garmin zumo 665 gps I found on ebay on the bike, and it has Sirius built in plus an mp3 player. This "scratched my technology itch", and works well. I recently added a ------- windshield, so I can hear everything better than with my Honda tall shield with a vent. The f6b now does everything I want and need, and does it very well. My recent additions were much more cost effective than a new bike, and I'm not sure I would enjoy another bike as much as this one.
    Last edited by STRaider; 05-13-2018 at 06:42 AM.

I added hand wings to the mirrors and they work good or,,, not so good. The good. They keep wind off my hands which will be good in cold weather. But I can feel heat from the radiators when their closed. Not so good in warm weather. So you think I'll open them and get some air. Not so good either.
    When their open, buffeting is BAD. So much that my eyes are jerky. Will have to play with them a bit to see if there's and in-between setting.
    I made a thick (3mm) shim to disable the front anti dive. Much better ride now. While I had it apart, I check the function with front or rear brakes.
    They are activated by the rear brake's only. And with an almost full press on the peddle. No action on the front brakes at all. Now that just don't make any sense? The valve was clean but the little piston would not return, keeping the shock locked up. There is a return spring in the receiving end of the unit but its not strong enough to push the piston back. Doesn't sound like Honda put a lot of thought into that. Ive been riding for 40 years without it on heavy bikes and never had a problem with front end diving causing braking issues. Got used to it I guess.
    At any rate,, This is by far the best bike I have ever owned. At 65 years old, it will be my last.
    Gonna ride till either I can't or the bike won't. Either way I'll be done.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by tenxxx View Post
    I added hand wings to the mirrors and they work good or,,, not so good. The good. They keep wind off my hands which will be good in cold weather. But I can feel heat from the radiators when their closed. Not so good in warm weather. So you think I'll open them and get some air. Not so good either.
    When their open, buffeting is BAD. So much that my eyes are jerky. Will have to play with them a bit to see if there's and in-between setting.
    I made a thick (3mm) shim to disable the front anti dive. Much better ride now. While I had it apart, I check the function with front or rear brakes.
    They are activated by the rear brake's only. And with an almost full press on the peddle. No action on the front brakes at all. Now that just don't make any sense? The valve was clean but the little piston would not return, keeping the shock locked up. There is a return spring in the receiving end of the unit but its not strong enough to push the piston back. Doesn't sound like Honda put a lot of thought into that. Ive been riding for 40 years without it on heavy bikes and never had a problem with front end diving causing braking issues. Got used to it I guess.
    At any rate,, This is by far the best bike I have ever owned. At 65 years old, it will be my last.
    I said the same thing my friend at 65 that it would be my last bike...Now 4 bikes later and 78 years old, I am looking at the 2018 Goldwing...(Just a little)...Have my 2013 F6B set-up for me and really love the thing...Trying to decide whether or not to upgrade the front suspension and keep it, or trade for the new one...My wife has already said I have had enough bikes!!!.....Regards and ride safe
    Last edited by opas ride; 05-13-2018 at 10:13 AM.

I've been looing at the 2018s and because they aren't all that I hoped for, also the K1600s from BMW. But I have my F6B set up so well, it's kind of like. Naww. That is righ now...lol I'm back and forth like a tennis ball. I have all the tech features, not quite as integrated as the new bikes, but pretty well equipped, and as far as sound quality of the sound system, not even in the same arena. ( completely aftermarket sound system on my B)
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

This isn't quite correct. The anti-dive cylinder is indeed associated with the rear brake circuit, but will also actuate when the front brake is applied and the bike is moving. Applying just the front brake actuates one piston in the left caliper (and two on the right), causing the left caliper to rotate with the wheel movement and actuate the secondary master cylinder applying pressure to the anti-dive piston on the front of the fork leg.

At any rate. The anti dive piston would not return, locking the shock. Much better ride for me without it.
    ITS ALL GOOD

I have issues with my Baker hand wings too. I must be screwing up on how they are assembled because the main bolt that threads into the bottom of the mirror keeps loosening up when I make adjustments. That is supposed to stay locked tight and only the bottom part is supposed to turn with the wing itself.

I have everything put together the way it the diagram shows. I have extra white plastic washers and I have tried using them and not using them. Still not right.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6