Beginning F6B shopping
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginning F6B shopping

Beginning F6B shopping

Female rider here only 5'3" tall that is currently riding a Harley Electra Glide with 100,000+ miles under my belt. I want a F6B. Keeping the Harley but not brand loyal obviously.

Just beginning my search so I have a few questions. I obviously need to reach the ground better and plan on having the seat shaved down and gel inserted. Need opinions on this plan.

I also must have a drivers backrest. Are all B's set up to accept a drivers backrest?

On my harley there are engine and bag guards but I've only seen engine guards on B's. Is that enough to protect the plastics and bags in the event of a drop?

What options does the Deluxe have that the non deluxe model doesn't have?

I will probably buy used. I do want cruise control so will get at least a 2015+.
    Any advice on anything else to look for in my search is greatly appreciated

Hello, welcome to the forum. Great group, and the Best Bike ever. Question about "bag guards", yes, the F6B does have them. The Deluxe model, has cruise control, heated grips, center stand, and? I'm forgetting something. the stock seat does not have a drivers backrest, however, many aftermarkets seats can solve that. I believe the Mustang seat position, is a bit lower than the stock seat. If you watch this forum, there are many great F6Bs, that come up for sale, that have most of the accessories that you are looking for. From what I've seen, the members of this forum take very good care of their bikes. You will enjoy this bike!

Welcome to the Forum.

The differences between the F6B Standard and the F6B Deluxe are the Deluxe has a center stand, passenger backrest, self cancelling turn signals and heated grips that the Standard does not. The B's stock seat is not set up for a riders backrest. The Utopia and Smart Mount backrests are made work with the stock seat with small modifications that are easily performed. Just behind the passenger foot pegs you will see small crash bars that do a surprisingly good job of protecting the hard bags in a parking lot drop or gentle low side go down. If you go down hard the cost of replacing the plastics will make the bike a total. For the seat modifications at 5'3" tall you will probably have to find someone local to modify your seat. Russel Day Long Saddles in Shasta, California or Rocky Myer Seats in Ojai, California are the only nationally known seat builders that I know of who will build a seat for your dimensions and they are generally booked several months in advance.

Good luck in your search for a bike. If you can handle a HD Electra Glide Ultra you will have no problem with the B, it has a much lower center of gravity, handles better and comes up off the side stand with a lot less effort.

Az Wingrider

I don’t know how this affects the characteristics of the ride. I just did a quick google search. Good luck on your quest and welcome to the board.

http://lowerwing.com/

Ride Safe
    Last edited by Cali261; 05-16-2018 at 12:15 AM.

What can be done to lower a B is the link from Lower wing and
    Progressive offers shorter spring kit for the front and Mustang seat.
    Another trick is the foot ware you have.
    I know that some of the boots Harley offers for women have
    thicker soles and heels which will also help.
    I am about 5 foot 6 on a good day and feel your pain.
    What we have found is by most of the lowering that can be done makes
    our bike suffer in the corners with scraping.
    But if you are just looking to have a cruiser and a bike to go long distance
    you have made a good choice.

Having recently switched to a Mustang Tripper Fastback from the stock seat. It does sit you lower than stock. It also has a more than adequate (for me) built in back rest. If you're interested in knowing, I'll measure my seat height. Stock is listed as 28.5".

Quote Originally Posted by Spiff215 View Post
    Having recently switched to a Mustang Tripper Fastback from the stock seat. It does sit you lower than stock. It also has a more than adequate (for me) built in back rest. If you're interested in knowing, I'll measure my seat height. Stock is listed as 28.5".
    The Mustang drop is about an inch, and I agree on the back rest "feature" of that seat.

You might want to contact these guys about modifying your seat. I have read several good reports about their work, and they aren't halfway across the country from you. Maybe you could set up a schedule so you could ride over and have them do the work while you were in the area.

http://www.meancitycycles.com/

I have a 2016 Deluxe and a Mustang Deluxe seat and love both. However, I would add that even though the Mustang provides great sacrum support, it doesn't really support the lumbar. If you absolutely must have a true backrest, this might be a consideration. The seat also sits you back a little, and the additional support is angled slightly backwards. So if you have a short reach then you will be leaning forward toward the bars and away from the support. I'm 6' with a 31 inch inseam and have Heli bars to pull the bars back quite a bit. In any case, this is a great forum for ideas, support, and help, and it's an incredible bike. Good luck!

Jason
    Last edited by Verismo; 05-18-2018 at 04:28 AM.

Welcome to the Forum Lady rider.
    The F6B is a great bike for sure, and the deluxe model would be an excellent choice If you do get an F6B, and everyone here will agree, just how much a great bike it is. The best part for me of riding the F6B is just how easy it is to steer, control, and maneuver. I had a Honda Valkyrie IS for 14+ years, and with all my years of riding such a beast, I really didn't think any other bike could replace it. But I was wrong
    Good luck with your search, but do try to obtain a Matt Gray F6B. Those that have one, know they are the fastest