Nail in tire
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nail in tire

Nail in tire

So halfway through life of tire In the rear tire....I heard the dreaded click click sound so knew something was there so examined and damn...something there. a possible nail, possible piece of metal. I cannot really tell, it has the circumference of a finishing nail. It so far in the it is under the rubber. So checked air and the object has been in rear tire for about a week, no pressure lost, not even a half pound. What would you do?
    When the world seems to be working against you. Drop everything and go for a ride!

I would pull it and check to see if it leaks. If so I would then plug it.

Don't leave it in the tire. It'll just work it's way in deeper.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    I would pull it and check to see if it leaks. If so I would then plug it.

Don't leave it in the tire. It'll just work it's way in deeper.
    That was my thought, I've never plugged a motorcycle tire, a lot of folks say that's just a temporary fix, and you need to replace that tire, what's your thoughts on that will?
    When the world seems to be working against you. Drop everything and go for a ride!

Plugging is permanent; if done correctly and the puncture is a candidate for a plug. Meaning that the puncture is in the travelled tread area of the tire. If the puncture is located on the sides of the tread area, then the plug may not seal permanently.

I've plugged quite a few motorcycle tires and never have had a plug fail. However, I have never plugged a front M/C tire. All have been rears.

Go to Walmart and pick up a Slime plug kit for like $10.00 and do it. There are others on this forum that have plugged their tires with no issues as well.

1. Remove the nail and observe the penetration angle as you remove it.

2. Ream the hole at the same angle with the reamer to clean it.

3. Plug the hole at the same angle with the fibrous plug, and make sure you cut off the excess with a razor blade.
    Last edited by willtill; 05-18-2018 at 05:02 PM.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Plugging is permanent; if done correctly and the puncture is a candidate for a plug. Meaning that the puncture is in the travelled tread area of the tire. If the puncture is located on the sides of the tread area, then the plug may not seal permanently.

I've plugged quite a few motorcycle tires and never have had a plug fail. However, I have never plugged a front M/C tire. All have been rears.

Go to Walmart and pick up a Slime plug kit for like $10.00 and do it. There are others on this forum that have plugged their tires with no issues as well.

1. Remove the nail and observe the penetration angle as you remove it.

2. Ream the hole at the same angle with the reamer to clean it.

3. Plug the hole at the same angle with the fibrous plug, and make sure you cut off the excess with a razor blade.
    Thanks will, I have the Slime Moto spare, it's got the pump and everything with it though, no plugs, will go to Walmart and look for the plug slime combo, I don't really want to use this slime Moto spare, as it was about 30 bucks if I remember right, yes this is in the tread Zone, not on the sidewall. Thanks on all

I have plugged rear tires as well with no issues, running thousands of miles on them.

So good news bad news, I pulled out the little sliver a metal that's all it was, about 1/3 inch long, no leaking, unfortunately the tap tap tap sound is still there, going over by now to see if I can see anything hanging up, both tires look clean now. The tap tap is only happening while the bike is moving clutch pulled in, nothing to do with the engine thank God, I guess possible stuck brake caliper? Not sure, balance tire out of whack?

Hmmm. Interesting.

You do have to isolate it. Do you have a lift where you can raise the bike and spin each wheel? If not, you may need to enlist someone whom can move alongside the bike and try to isolate the tapping, to either the front or rear wheel.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Found it! So about a month ago, I was cleaning my rear wheel rim, not that you have to with these blacked-out deals! So much better than Chrome!, but anyhow, I noticed one of those wait things they put on the rim when balancing tires, had came loose, I pulled it off, clean the rim, and put it back on with 3M tape two-sided, actually a little surprised that it even lasted for the last couple thousand miles, but it was rubbing up against my brake caliper, and it was kind of shaved down like it had been happening for a while, I guess I got to get some type of a sticky putty to put on that puppy? I've heard before that those balancers don't really mean crap, thoughts? Just take it off?

DynaBeads is what I used to balance my tires. cueman