Rode a 2018 DCT today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rode a 2018 DCT today

Rode a 2018 DCT today

Stopped by the dealer today on my quest to find the perfect bike. Getting closer...

Took a 2018 Wing DCT out for a 2 hour excursion. It took about 30 seconds to get used to the narrower bar setup and more nimble steering. The DCT was kinda funky at first. Sport mode was like a Ducati XDiavel launch control. This would be a fun bike for the drag strip. It was pretty aggressive on the downshift in Sport mode. Tour was ho hum. Rain and Econ were blasé. Manual mode was ok on upshifting but thought it was smarter than me on the downshift. Nice big Nav screen staring me in the face...we’ll actually, staring me in the chest. I felt like a circus bear riding a trike! At 6’4” with a 35” inseam, it was just too small a frame for my liking. Ride was cut short because I hated the bike. Back onto my matte grey F6B and off to the BMW dealer. Took the K1600B Grand America with speed shift package out for a rip. Wow, what a Bike! That’s going to be my next bike after I sell one of my kidneys!...but that’s another story.
    2016 F6B Matte Grey
    2016 XDiavel (Sadly...gone)
    2014 M109r (FHD Classic) (Sadly...gone)
    2014 VRSCF (Gone)
    2006 VTX 1300C (Gone)

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more. I thought I was mellowing as I got older, turns out I just don’t give a sh1t.”

Quote Originally Posted by Switchmonkey View Post
    Stopped by the dealer today on my quest to find the perfect bike. Getting closer...

Took a 2018 Wing DCT out for a 2 hour excursion. It took about 30 seconds to get used to the narrower bar setup and more nimble steering. The DCT was kinda funky at first. Sport mode was like a Ducati XDiavel launch control. This would be a fun bike for the drag strip. It was pretty aggressive on the downshift in Sport mode. Tour was ho hum. Rain and Econ were blasé. Manual mode was ok on upshifting but thought it was smarter than me on the downshift. Nice big Nav screen staring me in the face...we’ll actually, staring me in the chest. I felt like a circus bear riding a trike! At 6’4” with a 35” inseam, it was just too small a frame for my liking. Ride was cut short because I hated the bike. Back onto my matte grey F6B and off to the BMW dealer. Took the K1600B Grand America with speed shift package out for a rip. Wow, what a Bike! That’s going to be my next bike after I sell one of my kidneys!...but that’s another story.
    A couple or 3 weeks ago, I test rode the 6 spd 18 GW. I really wanted to test ride a DCT, but they didn't have one ready at the time. The test rid e I got was a 4- 5 mile around the block ride. Not really enough to feel her out thoroughly. I am only 5'8" so the fit feels fine to me. However, I wasn't overly impressed with the bike enough to buy it. I mean, if I didn't have all the money invested in suspension, audio and other stuff on my 13 F6B, I could see being a little more tempted. But knowing there are complaints about the GPS and some other criticisms I've read, I'm pretty content riding my F6B. They're supposed to call me when they get a DCT for me to test and said they'd arrange a longer test ride.

I did test ride the K1600B. Test rode it for nearly 2 hours and got to take it on some twisties. I liked the performance , at least when you get the tach above 4 grand. Below 4 grand, the GL 1800 has it beat for sure. But you keep the engine with a few more revs and she really moves along. I incidently lifted the front wheel through the first 3 gears, just accelerating hard. On the highway, the K1600B does not feel as planted as the GW/F6B and seems to get buffeted around easier. One thing , by the end of the test ride, my left knee was starting to complain and the handlebars would need some help. The K1600B would need some $$$$ spent to make it an all day rider for me. Getting back on my F6B, which I have already spent $$$$ on comfort, felt like coming home to my recliner after a long day working.

The BMW dealer called and has a GTL for me to try. I've been really busy and haven't had chance to get back yet. I think I'm over the new bike bug for the moment though.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    A couple or 3 weeks ago, I test rode the 6 spd 18 GW. I really wanted to test ride a DCT, but they didn't have one ready at the time. The test rid e I got was a 4- 5 mile around the block ride. Not really enough to feel her out thoroughly. I am only 5'8" so the fit feels fine to me. However, I wasn't overly impressed with the bike enough to buy it. I mean, if I didn't have all the money invested in suspension, audio and other stuff on my 13 F6B, I could see being a little more tempted. But knowing there are complaints about the GPS and some other criticisms I've read, I'm pretty content riding my F6B. They're supposed to call me when they get a DCT for me to test and said they'd arrange a longer test ride.

I did test ride the K1600B. Test rode it for nearly 2 hours and got to take it on some twisties. I liked the performance , at least when you get the tach above 4 grand. Below 4 grand, the GL 1800 has it beat for sure. But you keep the engine with a few more revs and she really moves along. I incidently lifted the front wheel through the first 3 gears, just accelerating hard. On the highway, the K1600B does not feel as planted as the GW/F6B and seems to get buffeted around easier. One thing , by the end of the test ride, my left knee was starting to complain and the handlebars would need some help. The K1600B would need some $$$$ spent to make it an all day rider for me. Getting back on my F6B, which I have already spent $$$$ on comfort, felt like coming home to my recliner after a long day working.

The BMW dealer called and has a GTL for me to try. I've been really busy and haven't had chance to get back yet. I think I'm over the new bike bug for the moment though.
    I took a prior generation of the 1600 out a bit more that a year before buying the B. Phenomenal bike, absolutely loved nearly everything about the bike. I say nearly, I have a short inseam and wasn't sold on the seating position, the price and mostly the multifunction display. Way to much going on in that display, the controls were not intuitive and it was just busy. I want to look at the new K1600 for fun but my next will probably be their adventure bike .

Quote Originally Posted by 3Chief View Post
    I want to look at the new K1600 for fun but my next will probably be their adventure bike .
    If you find the K1600 a bit tall, their Adventure bikes are a much further reach to the ground.

If you find the K1600 a bit tall, their Adventure bikes are a much further reach to the ground.
    Shoot... try mounting one of these suckers

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Shoot... try mounting one of these suckers

You are correct indeed. TRY is the key word. I attempted to mount up on one at my dealer last week. It would have been a piece of cake if my inseam had been around 41 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Walcrow View Post
    You are correct indeed. TRY is the key word. I attempted to mount up on one at my dealer last week. It would have been a piece of cake if my inseam had been around 41 inches.
    Short person + tall bike? Not really a problem.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YId9Pr_RlIo

I sat on one at the dealership where we purchased the GF's X4 and it didn't seem as bad as the 1600 was. My other issue at the time was seating position, I was coming off my VTX and hadn't ridden anything but V-twins in years. I bought my Concours the following year.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Chief View Post
    I sat on one at the dealership where we purchased the GF's X4 and it didn't seem as bad as the 1600 was. My other issue at the time was seating position, I was coming off my VTX and hadn't ridden anything but V-twins in years. I bought my Concours the following year.
    I guess that depends on what Adventure bike you're referring to. I was referring to their flagship Adventure bike the GS1200

I think it was the 800, it's all about seating position and the adventure bike seemed to fit me better than the 1600. I also have a lot more experience on sport tours now and that probably factors into it. I'm by far more comfortable in an more upright position vs a more aggressive forward lean. I still struggle with my legs being under and behind vs stretched out infront of me.

Either way BMW makes a phenomenal bike and I would love to add the right one to my stable...even tho my GF was trying to compare bike to shoes and saying you couldn't have to many I think she might balk at a 4th one at the moment