My brake job

Thread: My brake job

My brake job

Thought I'd share my experience changing the brake pads on my B.

First of all, the good news...did the fronts in about 10 minutes, not kidding...out with the old, in with the new, done.

The rear however, gave me an issue. I actually started in the rear first. Did what I saw on the youtube video by Partzilla. With a screwdriver, forced the pistons in. Took the pin out and the pads slipped right out on their own. But, I evidently didn't get the top piston pushed in all the way and couldn't for the life of me get the new thicker pad to slide all the way up. I tried, believe me. Minimal tools on hand didn't help. Kept trying to use the old pad to force it in more...tried over and over but it wasn't having it. Not sure if it's frozen and won't go any further or not. Never had a brake issue in the past, just thought it was time, after having looked a thin front pad a couple weeks ago. The old pads look perfectly worn to half, no evidence of problems. It rained and I haven't had a chance to road test it yet.

The good news about this is the old ones being half worn, are back in again. So, having the patience of an ant, it beat me this time. Having 37K on her, I shouldn't have to worry too soon about changing them. Maybe next rear tire change with more room to maneuver.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Interesting. Did you take the rear brake reservoir cap off when you tried to compress the pistons on the rear caliper?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Interesting. Did you take the rear brake reservoir cap off when you tried to compress the pistons on the rear caliper?
    No Will...it was shown that it wasn't necessary. It was all pretty simple and would have been successful, except for that piston. The fronts went so smooth after that experience. Once again, no cover to remove. I had more room to compress the pistons.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    No Will...it was shown that it wasn't necessary. It was all pretty simple and would have been successful, except for that piston. The fronts went so smooth after that experience. Once again, no cover to remove. I had more room to compress the pistons.
    As a matter of my own personal habit, I always remove the reservoir covers and wrap a rag around them when changing out brake pads. Two reasons for doing this:

1. That brake fluid in the caliper will be displaced when compressing the pistons, and will need to flow back into the reservoir. It's seems easier to do with the cover removed (my experience)

2. I always flush the brake fluid in its entirety when changing out brake pads.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

I have not changed the pads yet on this F6B but have many times on other bikes. I do find it necessary to release some pressure when pushing back the pistons to allow room for the thicker new pads. I use a large flat blade screwdriver before removing the old pads and a wrench and while spreading the old pads simply by twisting the screwdriver, I crack the bleed valve just a bit to release that small amount of pressure. It is a very small amount and is easy to catch or wipe up. I use a vac and hose to pull out the old fluid while adding new to the reservoir. I do not bleed every time I change pads. That may change as these pads are lasting longer than pads have for me in the past on other bikes.

Have seen on some wings when you push one in the other will come forward.
    check and see if that is what's happening.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    I have not changed the pads yet on this F6B but have many times on other bikes. I do find it necessary to release some pressure when pushing back the pistons to allow room for the thicker new pads. I use a large flat blade screwdriver before removing the old pads and a wrench and while spreading the old pads simply by twisting the screwdriver, I crack the bleed valve just a bit to release that small amount of pressure. It is a very small amount and is easy to catch or wipe up. I use a vac and hose to pull out the old fluid while adding new to the reservoir. I do not bleed every time I change pads. That may change as these pads are lasting longer than pads have for me in the past on other bikes.
    My boss suggested just cracking the bleeder too.

Quote Originally Posted by shortleg0521 View Post
    Have seen on some wings when you push one in the other will come forward.
    check and see if that is what's happening.
    That seems to be the case, although I haven't been able to get to the top piston yet. I'll get her to my job and we have mechanics who'll be more than happy to get this done.

Spreading the old pads before removal eliminates the possibility of one piston not retracting properly.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Spreading the old pads before removal eliminates the possibility of one piston not retracting properly.
    However no opportunity to clean the pistons before they retract back into the seals.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537