Eliminating left turns from commute ... re: crackheads - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eliminating left turns from commute ... re: crackheads

It must be something in the air this time of year. I've noticed a distinct up tic in stupid by all parties involved. I got blitzed by another bike in my lane heading to work the other day, cagers of all varieties cannot seem to check a mirror or actually look where their going, 18 wheelers going full throttle in the right lane passing stopped traffic heading into a merge, Pre-holes driving up your hind end until they get in front of you then dropping to 10 under prevailing traffic in the left lane, the 30 second pause after a light turns green before moving, stopping 20' back of the stop line an wondering why the light won't turn and all the other stupidity I cannot begin to mention... We all make the occasional bone headed decision in traffic or don't see someone however it's becoming way more apparent to me that people flat don't care anymore and drive like their the only ones on the road.

Stay safe my friends, it's getting more and more dangerous out there. And we should all probably invest in that camera setup Tax4free has...

Agree...you own the whole lane...make it yours!
    I ride the line in traffic, watching cars approaching me, normal drivers will move to their right as they approach. The ones that do not, I am shifting fast to the right side of the lane.

Left turns, I own the lane and will slide over to protect it. Remember we are invisible to cages, so make yourself seen and not smushed.

Pumper
    Last edited by Pumper; 05-22-2018 at 09:45 AM.

There's a lot of hate, discontent & division in our country right now. Seems every bodies pissed about something. Mostly things they have no control over, so they take out their aggressions on whoever's close by. Road rage, ride by shootings, spraying a neighborhood with bullets, it's truly sad. I'm 76yo & I've never seen anything like it.

YES,, when making a left turn I move to the right side of my lane. The crazies will pass you at full speed if you give them an inch.
    And semi's are no different. ALWAYS looking for an escape route.
    Things are so crazy now. I think the population growth is slowing. Who wants to bring babies into this mess.
    ITS ALL GOOD

How many people know what a hand signal is. They think you want to fight! Happened to me.
    ITS ALL GOOD

This is worth reading! What works for Delivery Trucks will work for Cyclists!

Why UPS drivers don't turn left and you probably shouldn't either | The ...

Instead of speeding to your left turn slow that sob down to a crawl while staying in the center of your lane before you get to the intersection. I call it taking control. If they are behind you and you gradually slow down then they also have to slow down.
    Is passing on the shoulder legal in your state?
    Would they be able to pass you if you were in your crew cab duality making a left turn?
    Last edited by speeddrive1; 05-22-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    This is worth reading! What works for Delivery Trucks will work for Cyclists!

Why UPS drivers don't turn left and you probably shouldn't either | The ...
    I think you fergot the link? I found it after a quick Google:

http://theconversation.com/why-ups-d...t-either-71432

Traffic circles are a wonderful idea for many intersections as well. No left turns. No unnecessary waiting either.
    Last edited by willtill; 05-22-2018 at 11:59 AM.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by Draxsr View Post
    I've read articles that speak about bikes getting tickets for being on the left side of the lane while waiting for a left turn. Obviously it varies from state-to-state, but check this for an example of where you're required to get in the far left side of the lane: https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.290
    Not sure the RCW means "...stay to the left side of a lane..."

Excerpt..
    (2) Left turns. The driver of a vehicle intending to turn left shall approach the turn in the extreme left-hand lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of the vehicle. Whenever practicable the left turn shall be made to the left of the center of the intersection and so as to leave the intersection or other location in the extreme left-hand lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the same direction as the vehicle on the roadway being entered.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Traffic circles are a wonderful idea for many intersections as well. No left turns. No unnecessary waiting either.
    Traffic circles are their very own special brand of hell...we have had several put in the area in the last decade or so to mixed results. The biggest problem is people not giving a pause before they blast in. The slightest of pauses will create space in the circle allowing every entrance to access it otherwise it isn't as effective as a light. They work great in low traffic applications and I understand other places in the world have them working near flawlessly however I think the average American driver is either too distracted or too stupid to adapt to them in a timely manner. We've had them long enough in several places yet people still cannot figure out how to use them.