Belly Pan to protect stupid location for coolant tank - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Belly Pan to protect stupid location for coolant tank

Thanks for all the replies. I will research each one

Showchrome after one year ... trash. Now macgyver dor two years, still ok. Advantage in turns, fixed closer to the enginge

I installed the showchrome one, went on very easy. It is a very very thin metal, pretty cheap and overpriced in my opinion but I guess it is better than nothing at all. It cost me $60 to replace my tank so if it saves me a future problem I will be happy. If you are wanting durability, you might want to buy a heavier piece. I'm sure this will work for my riding though.

I'm glad I did a search, I was going to ask why does my reservoir keep going down. Now I get it, it's in a crappy location and I found a small hole and I just hit 3,000 miles! Time to buy a belly pan. My second question was going to be why are they selling belly pans for the B. My old M109 had one but I took it off, funny how one bike needs it and the other not so much.

My belly pan got gone after some serious curves and the right side dug up and removed one of the four frame welded bolts that the belly pan mounted to. Sh*t.
    So, I coated the bottom of my reservoir with a few layers of Gorilla Tape....
    Cheers,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    My belly pan got gone after some serious curves and the right side dug up and removed one of the four frame welded bolts that the belly pan mounted to. Sh*t.
    So, I coated the bottom of my reservoir with a few layers of Gorilla Tape....
    Cheers,
    Steve
    Going to get Gorilla Tape today!!! Leaving Wednesday on a 1500 mile trip on my new "2016" F6B. Don't have time to get and install the a pan.

Side question: Can posts be given a "like" by other members of this forum? Don't see the option, but it my not be available to mt VERY new member account.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaSteve View Post
    Going to get Gorilla Tape today!!! Leaving Wednesday on a 1500 mile trip on my new "2016" F6B. Don't have time to get and install the a pan.

Side question: Can posts be given a "like" by other members of this forum? Don't see the option, but it my not be available to mt VERY new member account.
    Sorry Steve, we ain't as good as FB when it comes to being "social" - lol.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

One thing to think about when deciding how strong you want the pan to be: Should it be strong enough to survive a hard hit and the mounting bolts become the weakest link and strip out or break if you hit hard enough. Or a thinner pan that will be destroyed with ease but be sacrificial and maybe save the mount points. Mine thin one has lasted for a few years now and does have some dents and scrapes but so far so good. I like the tape idea and maybe could put a small plate of some sort between the reservoir and the tape. Even hard plastic would be better than what we have stock.

I started this post last year and installed a show chrome belly pan. So far it has worked great, has some dings but serves the purpose to protect the tank from normal conditions. Like I said, it is pretty thin but a lot better than nothing. I'd recommend it, and it also isn't hard to remove the section to change the oil. I did replace the cheap bolts with some that were easier to get a wrench on and last.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Sorry Steve, we ain't as good as FB when it comes to being "social" - lol.
    Thanks for the reply. The VTXOA forum looks like the same software, but has a like feature.

Back on subject, I bought a thick piece of metal from a VTXOA member for the underside of my VTX 1800's overflow reservoir. Maybe adding that WITH the Gorilla Tape will be good.