Belly Pan to protect stupid location for coolant tank
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Belly Pan to protect stupid location for coolant tank

Belly Pan to protect stupid location for coolant tank

Which belly pans work best? I was pulling my bike onto a uhaul trailer this week and snagged the coolant tank that is on the very underside of the bike. The trailer has a little bend where previous bikes have scraped and poked a hole right in it causing all the coolant to leak out of the tank. Plastic tank on the very bottom...very good Honda! NOT. Anyhow, got the new tank installed which was quite easy, but not going through this again when the belly pans are pretty inexpensive. I would recommend installing one of these to all, since Honda stated that it is common for these to get punctured....sometime just from the front tire kicking up something.

I have the Performance from Wingstuff. It was easy to install and has worked well so far. It has taken some scraps both leaning and over speed bumps. I've even jacked against it and it is easy enough to remove the front part for a oil change. Almost invisible from above. http://wingstuff.com/products/37566-...nted-belly-pan

Macgyver pan is the strongest around.I had one of the lighter sheet metal ones and it got bent up after a year on the bike.Macgyver has been on 3+ years and has no dents at all.

+1 on the Macgyver, I even use a floor jack on it when I change oil for a little more clearance, although a few folks say it puts too much pressure on the headers.

On my 13 I had the light one with the tiny Allen screws that the heads stripped out easily. On my 14 I went with the louvred stainless steel with the aircraft screws that I painted flat black. I think Wing St-ff now has an stainless anodized black one. On my 13 at 6,000 miles the aluminum tape Honda covers the tank with was hammered. We do end up on gravel roads a lot.

Just got in from changing my oil, I've got the black one with the 2 Allen screws. Surprised at the beating it's taken in a couple seasons of riding!
    Good investment no matter which one you get. Next time I'll put some never-seize on the screws as it seems like there's some oxidation going on.

Unhappy

Last year I had a coolant leak and it turned out that my coolant tank got a little puncture as well. It is definitely in a bad spot.
    So I tried this stuff, and it worked. It's been over a year now. No coolant leak.
    20180524_214737.jpg

I bought a Macgyver pan for my 2016 and can't get the thing to mount properly. It's all the way against the bottom and the slots still don't get high enough for the bolts to grab. I tried a slight crease and still no joy. :shrugs:
    2016 F6B Deluxe with goodies.

I have used the Showchrome bellypan for 4 years now. Easy to change oil with. Has taken several bumps and a few scrapes but no real damage to the pan. I did change out the front alan screws for some small stainless ones at Ace hardware that have slightly larger heads and a little larger alan wrench size.

I just installed the black show chrome belly pan. It was a little bit of a pain but not to bad. Front comes off for oil and filter changes. Little peace of mind.