Belly Pan to protect stupid location for coolant tank - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Belly Pan to protect stupid location for coolant tank

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm glad I did a search, I was going to ask why does my reservoir keep going down. Now I get it, it's in a crappy location and I found a small hole and I just hit 3,000 miles! Time to buy a belly pan. My second question was going to be why are they selling belly pans for the B. My old M109 had one but I took it off, funny how one bike needs it and the other not so much.

One thing to think about when deciding how strong you want the pan to be: Should it be strong enough to survive a hard hit and the mounting bolts become the weakest link and strip out or break if you hit hard enough. Or a thinner pan that will be destroyed with ease but be sacrificial and maybe save the mount points. Mine thin one has lasted for a few years now and does have some dents and scrapes but so far so good. I like the tape idea and maybe could put a small plate of some sort between the reservoir and the tape. Even hard plastic would be better than what we have stock.

I started this post last year and installed a show chrome belly pan. So far it has worked great, has some dings but serves the purpose to protect the tank from normal conditions. Like I said, it is pretty thin but a lot better than nothing. I'd recommend it, and it also isn't hard to remove the section to change the oil. I did replace the cheap bolts with some that were easier to get a wrench on and last.