Have to say goodbye to the best Forum ever!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have to say goodbye to the best Forum ever!!

Louder after 2013

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    I thought the exhaust drone issue was the result of a re-tune on the 15-17 models to make it sound more sporty, being a cruiser and all ... ?
    That's what I thought. I owned a '13 with the chrome exhaust, and it was virtually silent. I think the exhaust got louder in '14 or '15 when Honda changed from chrome to black pipes.

I grew to love the quiet ride. I now have a '16 which is a good bit louder. It sounds nice when you start it up, but can get annoying at some speeds. Overall I like the newer bike now that it has cruise control and better paint, but I'd be happier with the older exhaust.
    Last edited by F6Dave; 05-26-2018 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    If you've never experienced a legitimate drone, it is an unbelievable nuisance. I test rode a 2013 that had one. I bought a 2016 that doesn't. A constant resonant frequency is headache inducing water torture. Like amplified unceasing tinnitus, except in the case of the B, instead of a high resonant frequency, it's low enough to fill your whole head.
    My 2015 drone was even worse than you describe. I was ready to sell the bike after the first 4K miles. I removed the stock black exhaust and installed a chrome set of mufflers from a 2014 that I had the opportunity to purchase (heat shield and tips included for $200 total). Wha-Lah . . . drone completely gone! ! ! I still have the bike now with 40K miles and it's the best bike I've ever owned - but you're correct, the drone with the stock exhaust was horrible. I know that many members on this forum haven't experienced what we're talking about but believe me it really exists on some bikes.

As a former employee in a GM Assembly plant, I wonder if there was not some kind of defect in some of these. I cant imagine Honda changing much in the exhaust design over the run on these bikes.
    Does anyone know of these complaints on the Gold wing forums? Not suggesting drone was not there, but really wondering what differences were in the stock systems, year to year.

I'm pretty sure it was intentional. There were some complaints that the original bike was too quiet, so Honda added some bark to the pipes, not unlike the sound of the 1800 Valkyrie.

There were several changes over the F6B's short 4 year life. The transmission was modified (in all Wings) to address ghost shifting, cruise control was added, and the paint was improved over the 'soft' paint on the original 2013 bikes.

F6Dave, thanks for the information! I knew about paint,tranny issues but did not know exhaust changed. I have never heard an 1800 Valkyrie yet, but will try and see if I can find one to listen too.
    The 13 B I have is nice and quiet but when I open it up it growls a little, I compare it to my 1500 Valkyrie with a Viking Exhaust, so my "drone" calculations may be skewed a little.

For what it's worth, when I removed my 2015 black OEM exhaust and installed the chrome 2014 mufflers, I first stood the two mufflers up, side by side, and looked into the inlet ends of both. They were completely different. Baffles was much further down in one than the other (but it's been so long I don't remember which was which). Also, with the tips removed, the outlet are much different on each. I was after "quiet" mufflers and the chrome 2014s fit the bill. Besides, they look so much better IMHO! Anyway Motoman, sorry to be losing you, you're missing out on a good thing!

2016-04-19 Dan's 2015 F6B.jpg
    Last edited by 2015F6B; 05-26-2018 at 07:20 PM.

I got a 14 quiet takeoff GL1800 exhaust which has a shorter square tip that the bottom is angled up for better road clearance. I actually like the look better and was always one for function over cosmetics. The later 15 and 16 F6B models received the revised louder exhaust which have a larger hidden exhaust outlet behind the chrome beauty tip cover as well as revised baffles. I figured I would go with the original earlier design as it is a result of many years since at least 2001 of rider’s feedback and Honda’s engineers research and design.

15 F6Bs do not have a chrome beauty tip on the exhaust.

My 2013 with chrome mufflers are just loud enough to hear at cursing speed. Can hear the alternator tweet more that the exhaust.
    Beyond 65mph the road noise and wend cancels them both out.
    But I love the exhaust note at lower speeds. Sounds like a euro sports car.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Correct. I meant black beauty tip that the 15 and 16 F6b models received. The 15, 16 and 17 GL1800 models also went black too for the members who want to switch to the silent cruising exhaust without drone. I am so much happier with the 14 takeoff GL1800 exhaust after having the Cobra Six-2-Six and the TBR. I can actually hear my music without competing with the exhaust noise.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    15 F6Bs do not have a chrome beauty tip on the exhaust.