2015 diff transmission? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 diff transmission?

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Good two theories so far. Changed the shifting forks and applied some snake oil of some sort. Anymore thoughts on the tranny differences and WOW if someone has a link to share that is half believable.
    Ya might like to read http://www.justwings.com/Complaints.html and http://www.justwings.com/Cause.html and to remedy the issue Honda updated the dogs on the gears in 2014 to lock in better by back cuting the new ones.
    Last edited by BIGLRY; 05-27-2018 at 12:33 PM.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Thanks that was an interesting read.

I have had a few bikes over the years that did that. If your not using enough force there is a neutral in between each gear. I'll shift into neutral from first once in a while too, so I'm prone to do that and have had a few ghost shifts on my 2013 in the last 2k miles. One jumped back into 4th with no bad sounding clunk. But once it jumped out of 5th and right back in with a clunk. That one was concerning but no trouble since. I don't speed shift. It will haul ass with out doing that. Have never heard of anyone nor have I had a bad shift with a heel toe shifter.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Also wanted to mention that the trans or clutch makes rattling noise as soon as the clutch starts to grab. Don't hear it while cursing. Bike is a 2013 with 10k miles.
    ITS ALL GOOD

My 2013 sounded grindy when letting out the clutch when the bike was at less than half way between cold and operating temperature. Once at operating temp it sounded normal. It did it from new to it demise at 35,000 miles. My therory was stacking tolerances making some thing in transmission to tight until something grew. On 75* days there was little to no noise from a cold start.
    Last edited by Sorcerer; 05-27-2018 at 07:46 PM.

I think I remember once having what is described as a "Ghost shift" with my 2013. It was somewhere in the 12-15 k miles area. I have about 46k on her now, and really don't think has happened since.

I've been fighting off the new bike flue. A short ride on a 6 spd 18 Gold Wing and a generous ride on a K1600B ( that was fun) left me feeling a fairly content on my 13 F6B.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Different Part Numbers

If you check the OEM parts websites, you'll see that several transmission part numbers changed when they fixed the 'ghost shifting' problem in 2015. They did this on all the Wings. It's been a while since I've looked, but as I remember the 4th and 5th gearsets had different dogs to improve engagement. Some other parts may have changed too.

Interestingly, my 2013 never had a shifting problem. But my 2016 had a 'false neutral' between 4th and 5th twice when it was new. Either the problem disappeared with mileage, or my shifting technique improved.
    Last edited by F6Dave; 05-28-2018 at 08:17 AM.

The transmission was indeed changed for 2015. There was a discussion about it already on this forum, but I can't for the life of me find it with the search function. I did find photos of the changes on another forum from a guy who rebuilds gl1800 transmissions.

2014 and earlier:
    2014-1.jpg 2014-2.jpg

2015+:
    2015-1.jpg 2015-2.jpg
    blue 2015 F6B Deluxe - sold
    2022 Yamaha Ténéré 700 - coming soon

The sound reminds me of some other bikes Ive had with clutch basket problems. Because it rattles with the speed of the engine. The sound comes before there are tranny gears turning. Its something on the input side of the clutch. And I don't hear it any more after the clutch is fully engaged. In fact, this bike has the best feeling clutch Iv ever had. Smooth engagement all the way.
    Any way, I'm gonna ride it till it quits, or I quit. From what Im reading here, some bikes have had this symptom all their life. So I'm giving it no more thought.
    Its kinda like me, A little too young to be sounding old. It sorta fits me.
    Ride safe.
    ITS ALL GOOD

So what is a ghost shift? Does it actually shift into another gear or goes into nuetral?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]http://hondaf6b.com/image.php?u=3965&type=sigpic&dateline=1471132754