2015 diff transmission? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2015 diff transmission?

Either can happen. Into neutral is not strange but when it changes on its own from 5th to 4th it is weird. Has only happened very few times and not at all in several thousand miles.

Quote Originally Posted by TailGunner View Post
    So what is a ghost shift? Does it actually shift into another gear or goes into nuetral?
    Sorry for being a smart a$$, but...BIGLRY's links has the following description:

WHAT IS GHOST SHIFTING? The symptoms present as an unwanted transmission shift, or coming out and jumping back into gear.

• Can occur while in any gear; however, 1st is never included.
    • Finding a shifting "sweet spot" is difficult.
    • The unwanted shift can be undetectably smooth, at other times BANG!!!
    • Some describe it as "if my rear tire slipped on a wet leaf” or a "lurch," a "blip," or a "hiccup" in power.
    • It is an unwanted shift down from 5th to 4th, or 4th to 3rd, or 3rd to 2nd, 2nd to neutral. Or on a shift up from 2nd to 3rd, or 3rd to 4th, or 4th to 5th. Some Wings experience multiple combinations of unwanted shifts.
    • Ghost Shifting may start with an almost new bike.
    • It is difficult to reproduce. Occurrences can be 10,000 miles apart making the symptom extremely elusive.
    • Sometimes it may come out of gear, float in a “neutral position," then jump back into the gear it came out of.
    • In almost all cases, it occurs while under light acceleration or while "just cruising along." Some riders report it occurs after downshifting or deceleration to reduce speed.
    • The rider often blames it on a "miss shift," not wanting to believe what he just felt was a ghost shift.
    • Eventually, a shift occurs that gets attention; it can leave the Wing no longer ride-able.
    • All GL1800 years are affected.

HOW IT AFFECTS YOU - THE RIDER? A bike's performance is critical to the confidence of the rider, his safety and ability to make good decisions.

• In certain conditions, ghost shifting is extremely dangerous and begins to build mistrust between the rider and the Wing.
    • As ghost shifting becomes more frequent, the rider is forced to change riding habits, often in heavier traffic situations due to "miss trust."
    • At first ghost shifting leaves the rider confused as to what just happened, what gear it came out of or what gear it is currently in. If it is a ghost shift down, RPM’s will increase.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

Agree with that summary, SeaSteve. It's certainly disconcerting if you're not used to it. In a couple of weeks, I have a buddy coming into town from the UK for a week-long ride and I've offered to provide him a bike for our ride while he is here. Since we'll likely each spend time on the Wing and my GSA, I feel like I need to give him a primer on the F6b's tendency to ghost, just so he's aware.

It feels a bit like when I was a young fellow, telling a buddy how to start my first car when it was cold. "No, no...it won't crank like that. You have to press the gas pedal to the floor TWICE before trying to start it, then don't touch the gas at all while cranking....THEN give it a pat of gas once she fires so it does not go dead...otherwise she will flood and you have to wait".

Despite that one tiny issue, I still love the Wing, and she's a great bike that I think he'll enjoy.