Mustang to RDL
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mustang to RDL

Mustang to RDL

I currently have a Mustang Tripper Fastback and I do like it. My first upgrade from the stock seat was an Ultimate. As soon as I sat on it I could tell I wouldn't like it. I rode a little while with it and sent the Ultimate back with no problem. The Ultimate seat pushed me forward probably an inch and up and inch. I definitely didn't need to be higher than stock. So that lead me to a Mustang seat. It sat me back further and lowered me about an inch from stock, perfect!

Yesterday I went on a modest run of 160 miles and my ass just about had it. My middle-lower back was fatigued. I mean, I was beat and ready to lay down for a nap once I got home.

So I got to thinking about a RDL with a rider backrest and passenger backrest of they do it.

What is everyone's take on the RDL? Does it raise you up? Can you request them to make it lower than stock? Has anyone went from a Mustang to a RDL?

Do you recommend the rider backrest?

Thanks!

I have had Mustang, Saddlemen and Corbin and there is NOTHING like an RDL. It is the only seat that you wish your tank was larger so you won't have to stop for gas. 10 hour days are effortless and it boggles the mind how it works but who cares it just does.
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

I've seen your YouTube videos... Ballpark, how much? I want a rider backrest.. Do they provide the passenger backrest or do you have to send one in for them to recover it to match?

Thanks

Go take a look at the RDL site. Too many options to name in a post. I have one on the way and it is less than 800 bucks even with shipping all the way across the country. Of course you can spend well over a grand if you opt for many of the options.

What options did you opt for? Did you get a rider backrest?

Backrest is optional. I found out about a special backrest they offered from a member here on the forum. It's more horizontal and not as large as their standard one. Got it several weeks ago and now prefer it so I have the original backrest in a box. Mike (taxfree) is dead on about the miles you can ride with no butt pain whatsoever. I've had Mustangs, Hartco's, a Pera, Harley Police solo seats,etc., and the RDL, IMO, is the most comfortable, period. Russell will listen to your needs about seat height even after you send them your photos on the bike, which they must have before they make it. They have really great customer service.

I did not get a backrest, heated seat or leather covering. My only option was for the heavy rider.

I got my 3rd RDL in Feb. Black leather, rectangle stitch pattern, heat for those few cold rides. I had RDL put it on a modified Corbin Smuggler seat pan & back rest (it's in RDL's photo gallery). After 600-700 miles I love it as much as my other RDLs. = I strongly suggest you talk to Jay @ RDL with any & all questions. Check out all the options & photos b-4 you call. Jay's great & will give you honest answers. You'll have to get your name on the list wait your turn. Jay told me this has been a record year for RDL. I suggest you use your OEM seat pan, that way you can sell your Mustang & recoup some of your $$. There is a "break in" with the RDL, the more you ride the better it'll feel. I was around 69yo, when I rode 9 hours (7hr. in pouring rain) on my Suzuki V-Strom 1000. Got off, cold & wet, stood up straight, but no aches or pains that day or the next. I don't think you'll find a better, more comfortable seat anywhere. Your butt will be smiling.

I have had an original (terrible), a Mustang (bad), an Ultimate (good) and now a RDL (best). If you only go >200 miles per day, stick with the Mustang. However, as you go further and further you'll need a better seat. Long distance, multiple days, go RDL.
    "... there may be more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than dreamt of in your philosophy."

2016 Honda Goldwing F6B
    Traxxion Mega Monty

1975 Honda Goldwing GL1000
    16K, all original

.......Yep, what he said!