Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
I would not live in Commiefornia if it was the last place on earth...Nothing but "fruit cakes, idiot liberals, and illegals"....The land of "milk and honey", is in my opinion, the land of bullshit and stupidity!.....No offence to those who like the place....
Hmmm. No worries, nothing to be offended about in there. <-- sarcasm.

There's a lot of misunderstanding when it comes to water. It is impossible to "waste" water. Every drop of water on Earth has always been here and always will be. It's just been well traveled. Google "water cycle".

Water is amazing in that, no matter how dirty or polluted it is, it can always be cleaned up. My swimming pool is evidence of this. Something to do with its molecular makeup ... beyond my pay grade and off-topic.

However, water is not equitably distributed. Opas and I live in the Great Lakes area - lots of fresh water. The southwestern US and west of the Rockies, not so much.

I believe that the CA initiative on limiting water usage is a reflection of the reality of California's water situation - as in, a lack of it. So, unless Opas and I are willing to start diverting Michigan and NY's vast supply of fresh water, actions need to be taken to stimulate innovation. No one likes government telling them what they can and cannot do, but sometimes action is necessary. Market forces did not move the automakers to start making cars safer and more efficient; legislation did.

I think this is a smart idea ... why? Well, besides being a fruit, nut, bullshit artist, idiot and stupid, I also am the type that believes in the ingenuity of humanity. Las Vegas is a city with major water supply issues, and excessive usage. However, with tight controls on usage starting 20 years ago, they have cut their water usage by 1/3 despite population and development doubling in that time. Pat Mulroy has run the Southern Nevada Water Authority during that time and she has ruled with an iron fist on water usage. And she has gotten results that have put the city in a good spot.

Read about her here: https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...s-vegas-213836

I think California is trying to replicate her success by legislating creativity. Seems smart to me. I did not read the original article (I need to go back and do that), but the burden of water conservation should be the burden of the supply agency as well as the consumer. Collectively, consumer actions generate significant results, and so do actions taken by a supply agency.

As for the supply systems leaking water, yeah, it is not ideal but all that water eventually ends up back at its local supply through the water cycle. Because it is contained, it stays in the area. Compare that to evaporation from pools, fountains, lawn watering where water is transported in vapor form to faraway places, contributing to that distribution problem.