2018 Gold Wing Traxxion Suspension Upgrade // Install & First Reaction
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Gold Wing Traxxion Suspension Upgrade // Install & First Reaction

2018 Gold Wing Traxxion Suspension Upgrade // Install & First Reaction

Join Rick as he travels from WingStuff HQ in San Clemente, California down to Woodstock, Georgia and visits Traxxion Dynamics. Rick was invited by Traxxion owner, Max McAllister to come get the suspension upgraded on his brand new 2018 Honda Gold Wing Tour DCT Model.

Rick already feels that the 2018 Gold Wing is the best handling Gold Wing he's ever ridden, but like any Gold Wing rider, is always on the look-out for ways to improve the ride even more.

Last edited by WingStuff; 06-04-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Did Rick ride it to and from Traxxion or trailer it ?

Thanks for the question, ths61. Rick also upgraded the suspension on his Street Glide at the same time, so he had to trailer them both and drive out.

Ya know, sometimes peoples best efforts have adverse effects. It's reviews like this that confirm to me that Honda really dropped the ball on the factory suspension (as well as more than a few other items). Personally, I think it's absolutely ridiculous to spend $3 grand on the suspension after you've already dropped $28 to $30 grand on the bike. I'm one of the potential buyers who looked hard and long at the new bike and considered all the reviews before I decided against buying one this year. You can't tell me that the OEM handling was the best you've ever ridden from one side of your mouth and then tell me how much better the Traxxion update makes it out of the other side of your mouth. You can't have it both ways. Like others, I've watched all of Max's videos and he's pretty clear on how weak the OEM suspension is and then Rick comes along and tells everyone how much better it is after a $3 grand suspension upgrade. Sure ain't a very good sales pitch for the new bike unless you go into it knowing you may have to spend another ton of money to make it better. JMHO.
    Last edited by 2015F6B; 06-12-2018 at 08:37 PM.

wow...I have owned over 40 bikes in my days. I can say that every one of them no matter how good they are from the factory always can use improvements.
    Development money is huge, when producing a new model. That said, no matter what manufacturer you are you will look for ways to minimize development money.
    That said Honda is no different than any other bike manufacturer. They use inferior products and cheapen the product, but yet make it reliable and safe. Planned obsolescence, replacement OE parts have a minimum of 300% mark-up, so when the inferior parts wear out. They make huge dollars.

For instance the Legacy models use one loaded fork the other side is not, wtf Honda. All in the interest of saving money. When I bought my F6, it was one of the most ill handling bikes I had owned. Yep, I spent 3k on it and now I will tell you this is the very best machine I have ever ridden or owned. That includes many years of track racing and enduro's. If you do not demand much from the bike, it rides great, but when you want it to perform a different story. I was running a sweeper at high speed, the bike was shifting all over...not safe, today with the upgrades, I can run the same sweeper and hold my line, while increasing speed...

You do not have to spend a penny more than what you paid, but it is personal choice and the drive for a safe and fun bike when you push the limits.
    Have a great day!

Pumper

Quote Originally Posted by 2015F6B View Post
    Ya know, sometimes peoples best efforts have adverse effects. It's reviews like this that confirm to me that Honda really dropped the ball on the factory suspension (as well as more than a few other items). Personally, I think it's absolutely ridiculous to spend $3 grand on the suspension after you've already dropped $28 to $30 grand on the bike. I'm one of the potential buyers who looked hard and long at the new bike and considered all the reviews before I decided against buying one this year. You can't tell me that the OEM handling was the best you've ever ridden from one side of your mouth and then tell me how much better the Traxxion update makes it out of the other side of your mouth. You can't have it both ways. Like others, I've watched all of Max's videos and he's pretty clear on how weak the OEM suspension is and then Rick comes along and tells everyone how much better it is after a $3 grand suspension upgrade. Sure ain't a very good sales pitch for the new bike unless you go into it knowing you may have to spend another ton of money to make it better. JMHO.
    Some riders will purchase the new GW and ride it forever without complaining about the front suspension as it works just fine...Others looking to make money, feel the stock suspension is not that good, will always find fault with the factory product and sell after-market parts to make it better???...That is America, I suppose, and we all have the choice to live with what we feel works or spend money to improve what we feel does not work.....BTW, I am keeping my current 2013 as it works just fine for me....At 78 years old I am not a very aggressive rider these days, but have made an appointment to install Traxxion fork springs, etc., AllBalls bearings and whatever, to try to make the front end road shock a little less noticeable....Regards
    Last edited by opas ride; 06-13-2018 at 09:38 AM.

I wonder how much the manufacturers bother investing in things that they know often end up being replaced by their buyers. For example, seats. Knowing how fickle everyone's can is, even with the same measurements, do they spend $____ on designing the seat or just "wing it" and throw something on there knowing their buyers will accept having to pay for a $900 upgrade in order to "personalize" the bike.

Suspension, though, should not be considered part of the "personalization" process of a bike, IMO. How many people actually do suspension work, vs. replacing a seat or adding lights?
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

I agree with you, but many folks just dont have a lot of experience with really bad suspensions. I know I rode my legacy Valk quite a few years before I decided to go full progressive front and back when I got a little bonus at work, man what a difference it made at the time. Night and day! Now I find my 13 with @10K miles just does not compare in ride quality with the Valk. Still contemplating either going to full progressive or just bite the bullet and head down to Woodstock GA for the full Monty. I just hate the front end on this 13, and like OPAS I find that every rut and road dimple here in Indiana gets transferred up into my hands and shoulders. Decisions, decisions.

I have not put a bunch of miles on the bike since the Progressive monotubes were installed but the more I ride the more I like them. they did smooth out the road some and I seem to corner better. I can still get some abrupt jolts like when I go over a bridge right by my house. It takes it better but still need to slow down which is just common sense anyway.

My 2013 rides like a rock on rough roads. Not acceptable for a $20,000 bike. Especially Not acceptable for a $30,000 full wing!
    NONE of the other bikes in this price range are like that. I hear no complaints like what I hear on wings.
    That being said,, the bike is, for what its worth,, one hell of a machine. Its a pure BRUTE!
    Despite the rough ride I like it better that any other bike I've ever owned. I'm a grin and bare it kind a guy.
    When anybody ask's what its like, I never mention the rough ride. I tell em its in a class of its own. And thats the truthhhhh.
    Its ok to bitch a little,, isn't it?
    ITS ALL GOOD