Fork Brace - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fork Brace

To turn the stem nut a half or full turn is an easy job and may only require a torque wrench applied at the proper number. I assume the B has a stem nut like all bikes I've ever worked on before. The hard part I would bet is gaining access to that nut under all that tupperware. Just looked briefly in the manual and looks to be a lengthy process. You are under warranty so might get the Honda shop to address your problem. I would not put the magic beads in, but would try and solve the problem instead. Another source of wobble can come from a poorly wearing tire, possibly caused from just a bad tire or from improper tire pressures. A new tire will cure that. Good luck.

Triple tree bearings and fork head bearings are the same thing.

Hey, opas ride where did you get the work done in Michigan?

If you opt for a brace, then my recommendation is to buy the fork brace that is adjustable. The original super brace was fixed in the center and clamped from the outside. Not every set of forks sits perfectly and this can cause binding. The adjustable ones allow you to adjust the width of the center piece to the fork tubes and tighten, then tighten the outside clamps. Once all secured it's as rigid as the fixed brace.

I had the Traxxion version on my 2003 Wing and it did not do anything for the wobble. It did make slow speed parking lot maneuvers easier, it just feels 'tighter'. Cornering felt better.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    If you opt for a brace, then my recommendation is to buy the fork brace that is adjustable. The original super brace was fixed in the center and clamped from the outside. Not every set of forks sits perfectly and this can cause binding. The adjustable ones allow you to adjust the width of the center piece to the fork tubes and tighten, then tighten the outside clamps. Once all secured it's as rigid as the fixed brace.

I had the Traxxion version on my 2003 Wing and it did not do anything for the wobble. It did make slow speed parking lot maneuvers easier, it just feels 'tighter'. Cornering felt better.
    Not a problem if you release left side axle bolts and find the center of the movement of forks. The groove line is not an exact placement to prevent binding.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    You'll get as many opinions on the cause of wobble as you will on oil, so I'll throw in my two bits. IMHO, it is tire related. Either the tire itself or the installation (how it seats or balance). This is based upon 154k+ miles on a 2002 Wing and 20k miles on my 2016 F6B. I'll share my latest example. I put almost 11k miles on my F6B with the original Bridgestones and never had any wobble. Rock solid in the wobble range. Had front and rear Dunlop E4 installed and I have had a slight wobble from the very day of installation. It was not enough for me to take the time to go back to my dealer (who does great work on Gold Wings and always treats me well). After putting almost 10k miles on the E4s, the wobble is still there -- no better, no worse. If the wobble is there, you can mask the issue by holding the handlebars with both hands, or in some bases the replacement of the fork head bearings or a fork brace might help, but those just help cover up the real issue. When by Wing got the full monty Traxxion that bike got the near head bearings and the Traxxion (2-piece) brace. That helped with the wobble issue -- for the reasons I stated.

So, I take the time to get it taken care of -- if it is enough of an issue for me to take the time to do so. That being said, my assessment on tires is that I will go back to the Bridgestones next spring. After ~175k miles on the GL1800s, I concluded a long time ago that the Bridgestones had the best overall characteristics and were the best for me. Maybe not as many miles, but I don't like thin rubber anyway, and they were the best for me and my style of riding. Cost less than Dunlops also.
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

Interesting article on use of Dynabeads....