Front Tire Howl
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Front Tire Howl

Front Tire Howl

I bought my black B in march of this year with 8500 miles. Have since put 2k miles on it.
    I am really starting to notice a howling from the front tire in turns. The tire pressure are kept at 41 psi.
    Will go up a few pounds today to see if that helps. It is the factory tire with no signs of ware of any kind.
    I notice also that as I come up from a lean in a corner that the howl doesn't go away completely.
    Is front tire road noise normal. I know the bike is heavy, but you can hear it coming through the handle bar pockets at speed.
    Just something to gripe about I guess. I have a few other bike do the same thing.
    ITS ALL GOOD

sounds to me like the howl i get after 4,000 or 5,000 miles on the rear tire (bridgestone).

as the tire wears the rubber on the leading edge of the tread grooves presses into the groove as opposed to wearing off.
    it creates little "points" that protrude.

so when ever i lean over into curves i can hear a "humming".

listen closer maybe the "howl" is from the rear
    What? Coffee ISN'T free?

Rode-map

Quote Originally Posted by tenxxx View Post
    I bought my black B in march of this year with 8500 miles. Have since put 2k miles on it.
    I am really starting to notice a howling from the front tire in turns. The tire pressure are kept at 41 psi.
    Will go up a few pounds today to see if that helps. It is the factory tire with no signs of ware of any kind.
    I notice also that as I come up from a lean in a corner that the howl doesn't go away completely.
    Is front tire road noise normal. I know the bike is heavy, but you can hear it coming through the handle bar pockets at speed.
    Just something to gripe about I guess. I have a few other bike do the same thing.
    I can't speak for some, but 41psi in the front tire, Dunlop E-4's. make my bike ride like a lumber wagon...No howling that I hear from the newer tires, but I do remember some road noise with the OEM tires...I would reduce the front psi to around 37/38 and try that....Regards

I get quite a bit of road/tire noise coming up from the front tire. One reason I wear ear plugs.

This noise is annoying but bearable.
    The other wing forums suggest (for OEM tires)
    39 up front, 41 in the rear.
    Do not exceed maximum recommendations of mfr.
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen
    MEC: first aid kit Nelson Rigg: Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag
    Rivco: Honda Adjustable Highway Mounts, Flatfoot pegs
    Uclear: HBC200 intercom system (spares)
    ZUMOLOCK to lock on Zumo 396

I had the same howl from the OEM tires on my 2013 last year. Had about 12000 miles on them and saw that I had worn down the tires center area on both front and back.
    Only heard the sound when turning.
    Replaced both tires with the newest Dunlop E4's that have harder rubber in the center.
    Have put another 8000 miles on these and cannot detect any center wear like I saw on the OEM Bridgestones.
    Really happy with the new tires.

I have some howl with my rear right now at 10K miles, front looks good still, So what is recommendation for the next set of tires?

Quote Originally Posted by Kokomo Kevin View Post
    I have some howl with my rear right now at 10K miles, front looks good still, So what is recommendation for the next set of tires?
    Some like Avons a lot and many prefer the new Dunlop E-4's over the OEM tires..I have Dunlops and they work fine and wear great.....Many choices available..

Difference in tread wear from the center to the side of the tire. Normal, all MC tires.
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

+1 for the E-4
    When that open road starts to callin’ me,
    There’s something over the hill that I gotta see

~Hank Williams