Oh DEER.... Almost bagged one with my Bagger!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh DEER.... Almost bagged one with my Bagger!

Exclamation Oh DEER.... Almost bagged one with my Bagger!

The highway between Ohio and Syracuse, NY is littered with deer that almost crossed the road!

I was coming back at night from Syracuse and was "watching" for deer but at 80 MPH at night, I would probably feel it before I see it!

Almost happened! Just caught a glimpse of something as I passed it. When I stopped for gas, a car pulled in and the driver told me he was following me and saw a deer cut behind me no more than a foot or two. If I was going a 10th of a mile slower or he was a second faster, there would have been two piles of road kill to clean up!

Next month I am going to be riding from Chagrin Falls, OH to LA and back. Lot of open road and critters between here and there.

Anyone have any wise advise in avoiding the four-legged road hazards?

Do you aim for it's ass, figuring that when you get there, it will be gone?

If you see it at 70+ MPH, braking really isn't a viable option, unless it is a 50 yards away. Laying it down is going to hurt!

Those dumb deer crossing signs are useless...as far as I can tell, deer don't read!

So, any advise that has worked for you or just ride on and figure it is as avoidable as rain? Ya ride, ya get wet!

Can't vouch for anywhere else, but here in Indiana, like Ohio the hour before and after dusk is when they get real active and they are also looking to bed down around an hour before and after sunrise Your best bet to avoid them is ride in the day light , but you will have to contend with more heat.

Not sure but if you can't avoid it the best bet may be to try to drive thru it. There of some videos of guys that hit deer and did not go down.
    I just missed one on my Harley. I looked to the side at a new building where my son's company was setting the steel As I looked back there was a deer crossing about 6 feet ahead of me. If I'd seen him I'd probably have crashed trying to miss him. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Wow, just recalled the time I was running south out of Jackson Hole Wyoming when a huge Female Elk ran across the road just pass me, when I got past her I looked in my rear mirror only to see what she was running from, an even bigger Bull Elk. Hitting either one would have been my demise! You are right it is better to be lucky than good sometimes!

That’s why I don’t ride at night unless absolutely necessary. During the day you have a better chance of seeing them before they cross. Lights confuse them so they don’t know what you are.

I took one to the knee on my old Valkyrie at about 40 mph. I can't imagine what 80 would do. On the bright side, it left a perfect impression in the tank that my knee would fit right in from there on out.

Jason

I hit the back brake a little too hard and slid into one sideways. We were looking into each others eyes.
    The impact stoped me from falling over. I was on a Harley dresser.
    The deer never missed a step, just ran faster and was gone before I could get my sh__t together.
    I did find a few hairs in the hand grip.
    Ohio is littered with road kills.
    ITS ALL GOOD

My advice: check with anyone who is a serious deer hunter. I live in the area you ride through (near Rochester) and I can tell you that this the second most active time of year, but it does not compare to the most active, which is mid-to-late October through December. May-June and a little into July is when does have dropped their fawns and are out looking for food, as fawns do not leave their bedding area for the first couple of weeks. Even after that, they hang with the mother as they learn to walk around and find food on their own.

I learned all of this from my friends who hunt. When the calendar rolls to October, I check in with them several times per week at work to see if there is a lot of movement (that is a sign of the rut starting). This is the most active time of year, and the bucks are horny as hell and act crazy. Does are running away from them and do not hesitate at road crossings. Once I get word that there are signs of this activity, I park the bike and start driving the car to work. I still take daytime rides, as the threat is less.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

I do a lot of riding in the Texas hill country, some of it at night. I have mounted some super bright LEDs on the front of the bike that throw light a long ways down the road. They don't do anything to eliminate the problem but it gives me more time to re-act. At night I slow down and try to be super vigilant. The Iron Butt Riders all ride at night and they believe in lots of light and I am just following their lead. I have seen deer on the road and in the ditch but so far no contact. Maybe I am just lucky but lighting everything up can't hurt.

Az Wingrider

And b/c I'm sure the question will come up (it always does...)

https://www.lifewire.com/do-car-deer...s-work-4061222