Linked brakes and gravel roads

Thread: Linked brakes and gravel roads

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Linked brakes and gravel roads

One of the few things I don't care much for on my new F6B is the linked brakes. I ride Indiana's gravel roads pretty frequently and there are times when doing so that I prefer to use my rear brake only. Yesterday was a good example. I rode the F6B to my inlaws yesterday. I'd ridden my Valk there many times, even riding it to our deer camp and once even taking a deer head to a taxidermist on the Valk.

Yesterday's ride involved about 5 miles of alternating sections of thick, loose, large gravel (1"-3") somewhat rutted by Amish buggies, many hills, an off camber paved corner covered with gravel and at the end of the line, my in-laws steep, curved gravel drive. The lower section of which has flooded 3 times recently and consisted of rocks up to maybe 5" in diameter interspersed in a layer of thin gravel over mud. Going up wasn't too big a deal although it did involve some fishtailing, spinning and rutting.

Before heading home I smoothed up the ruts I made somewhat with a garden rake. Going down involved riding the back brake to the point of sliding as I rode down the step, loose, rutted and cambered hill. I've done it many times on the Valk, but I was worried about the linked brakes this time around.

What I ran into was basically a pogo effect. As in, as I put more pressure on the back brake the front brake would come into play, the forks would compress somewhat and the front end would be about to slide. Then I'd let off the rear brake, the forks would rebound, the bike would speed up immediately of course, requiring me to get back on the rear brake and start the cycle over again. My youngest son, who had ridden his Valk there confirmed visually what I felt from the saddle.

Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do about it if so?

My motorcycle is my primary mode of transportation. I have several cages of course but I prefer not to drive them if it can be avoided and I expect to be riding these same roads and drives for another 20 years. Ideas? Is it somehow rider error? Is there a specific technique for riding bikes with linked brakes in these conditions? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Frye; 07-01-2018 at 10:11 PM.