How do you pack your bagger? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you pack your bagger?

I have a GIVI top trunk that will hold my CPAP and a few other small items. Small Strap on bag on the passenger seat. I can easily get 3 days worth of clothes in the side bags with zippered liners. If I'm gonna be gone longer I pull a small trailer that only weights maybe 100lbs empty.
    Wish I had a reverse. Kinda new to long distance riding but getting some miles in this year.
    I see some of the riding gear mentioned here has zip in water proof liners. Will be getting some of those soon.
    Never really did long distance till this year. The reason for the 2013 B I got in March.
    I am just amazed at how well suited it is for highway cruising.
    I'll travel one way or the other till I can't!
    ITS ALL GOOD

I'm setting off in August for 2 months with my gal. We need to be self sufficient in everything from 5 degrees C to 35 C, rain or shine with camping gear to boot.. also need some reasonably formal clothes for nights on the town and touristy shit... Believe it or not, with the addition of an old tour pac, we're set. Did a trial pack and everything is internal, except our self inflating sleeping mats, which must be strapped on the rack on top of the trunk. We have more space than my buddy with his full 'wing.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    I'm surprised that now two people bring oil along. I can not remember any time I have needed oil on a trip. Besides it is very easy to purchase if you were to happen to need a bottle. Sometimes I wear the oldest jeans etc that I have and after a few days they can go in the garbage and less dirty stinky clothes to pack home. Now I have room for some new souvenir t-shirts. My bourbon and rum supply also gets smaller by the day. No spare parts and only the smallest of a tool bag. Rain gear and a few other pieces of stuff in left bag and right side is free for as needed. Leather jacket rolled and the extra helmet are just put on top of what ever, maybe the half lid in the right bag if wearing the full. Five days is one travel bag but have room for another if a longer trip.
    I guess it depends where you travel. If you stay on the I's or go thru towns you're fine. I however, I do neither. I try to go to remote areas like Alaska, Hudson Bay, Cape Breton, northern part of the Provinces, Montana, Maine, etc. Some by car most by F6B. Often it is hundreds of miles between gas pumps (in AK it was often in the front yard of some resident). To expect oil to be available is really pushing your luck. In my 55 years of riding I have often needed extra oil. To me by F6B is not a boulevard cruiser, it's an escape pod.
    "... there may be more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than dreamt of in your philosophy."

2016 Honda Goldwing F6B
    Traxxion Mega Monty

1975 Honda Goldwing GL1000
    16K, all original

In the left saddlebag: Schuberth C3 full face helmet / a few tools not much / pair of gym shoes / shower kit / small bottle of rum / contigo coffee cup
    In the right saddlebag: Klim Overland Jacket / Klim Lattitude pants / Klim waterproof full gauntlet gloves / tourmaster heated jacket liner
    In my Harley Leather Covered hard tour pack: Lap top / clothes gym bag
    Rock strapped on: sleep apnea machine against the tourpack / bag with waterproof cover for misc... and extra 3/4 full shield helmet (I use this as a backrest)
    I wear Bates waterproof Thinsulate leather boots, Rukka Air All pants, Klim Induction jacket, fiberglass half Harley style helmet, sunglasses, Dainese summer weight goat skin gloves.

I have spent a lot of money on gear but I find this works great for me in hot weather.
    In cold weather I wear the Klim Gortex vented gear with the heated liner so I have more room in the right saddle bag for insulated under armour etc...
    I wear Tommy John underwear and under armor long sleeve t-shirt with either hot or cold gear.
    In the heat I also use my Harley Davidson mesh seat liner which flows air under my but as I ride.

I have my cell phone with USB charger and Bluetooth helmet speakers. Roadside phone number / I have both Honda and Good Sam / American Express will take care of anything else I may need.
    stevenolts

This thread has some interesting info for sure. Everyone has different needs and requirements, that's for sure. In my early years of cross-country riding (70's) I traveled very light and had all kinds of stuff tied to my bike with bungee cords, including tent, sleeping bag, clothes, etc. Very little in the way of tools or well-designed riding gear like we have today. It was pretty much a mess, but served my purpose at a low cost.

For my F6B:
    • Left saddlebag (my goal is to never open this bag on a trip): A few tools, tire plug kit, small air compressor, rain gear, warm gear (riding in the mountains you have to be prepared for BIGGGG swings in temperatures at the higher elevations), Gerbings, small first-aid kit, extra gloves, Honda Cleaner/wax, extra bungee cords, and a few rags; and my 32G USB plugged in for music.
    • Right saddlebag (easy access and try not to overload): Dual USB charging port with power at all times (can charge things when stopped for break or lunch as needed, couple of rags/cleaner, tennis or walking shoes, a few healthy snack bars (low sugar and fat), sunblock spray, USB power pack for charging anything USB such as Sena stuff and phone (if power pack needed; I could leave this behind very easily), pretty large Leatherman tool, tire gauge, extra jacket as needed/desired, long-sleeve shirt, paper maps, backbrace when not wearing it, ballcap, reading glasses, extra USB cords, and my digital SLR camera if I plan to take pictures with it. Quite a few of the items are in a zippered bag to keep them compact and in-place.
    • Bag strapped to the rear seat (I ride solo; might be a larger bag or a smaller one, depending upon if the trip is 3-days or a longer trip): One pair jeans, tee-shirts, socks, toiletry items and medications in a mesh bag that fits into a solid nylon bag, charging cables, powered drink mixes to add to water in my Butler Cup on the handlebars, couple more snack bars,couple of ziplock bags (gallon, quart, and snack size), tall kitchen bag for dirty clothes, sandals, and usually a few other things.
    • Left cubby in fairing: Midland 75-822 CB wired to aux power and CB antenna (installed in place of radio stub antenna), Sena SR10 for controlling CB push-to-talk and convert to Bluetooth to allow use of CB with my Sena 20S EVO in the helmet.
    • Center glovebox: Garagedoor opener, lip balm, the small helmet cable, footstand for the sidestand (in case on soft dirt), sunblock (cream), hand sanitizer, extra sunglass lenses (clear, yellow, and another dark set), bike registration and insurance cards, small notebook and pen, earplugs, small knife, extra sunglass lenses (yellow, clear, and dark), eyedrops, and coughdrops.
    • Handlebars: Butler cup and Zumo 395LM GPS.
    • On me: Riding pants, riding jacket, gloves, helmet, riding boots, and sunglasses with interchangeable lenses.

So, I can easily do any length trip. If more than one week, I just wash clothes at the end of each week.
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

How do you guys like the Butler cup? Is it the one to get?
    stevenolts

Take a look at Wingstuff, they have several diff types. I do not think we need the swinging type that I see offered. I prefer the type I can throw away the used dirty cup and start new. I use this one, it can be used with a can or bottle in a coolie or without if the cup is large. Also handy to temporally store things like glasses etc. http://wingstuff.com/products/33242-...?from_search=1

Oil? No need to carry oil on an F6b, waste of space. These bikes don't "burn" oil. Unless you got a lemon.

Lot of folks carrying an air compressor and plugs vs. a can of Spare Air with slime. Which is best to carry on a long cross country ride on old Rt. 66? Lot of open spaces between little towns and no cycle shops!

I have experienced a flat coming back from Sturgis and had to wait two days to get to a place that could sell me a new tire. Sat beside the road for over 8 hours to get AAA to haul me to a motel so I could wait another day until a shop opened. Then I had to get to a store to buy a small air pump to get enough air to get to the shop. $400 and a new tire later, it turned out to be a cracked valve stem!

So, I need to take either the air pump and plugs or just a can of Spare air.

Any recommendations?

Spare air with slime will make a mess. I carry a tire plug kit and 10 or so air canisters. Also had a stem to fail once and a plug kit does not help with that. No more I now only use quality metal stems. I do recommend trying out your plug kit ahead of time so you know how to use it.