How do you pack your bagger? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you pack your bagger?

I don't think you really need this if you have good metal stems but ya never know. This and some air canisters would get you back on the road if a stem fails. https://www.colbyvalve.com/

Live and learn...the hard way. The stem was a long 90 degree angle, rubber, on my VTX 1800. My guess is that the additional weight of the stem, being off center, just fatigued the stem after all that inertia and millions of rotations! Won't do that again!

Noticed that no one is carrying spare gas. The biggest issue with the X is that it only gets about 130 miles per tank, running hard. The first time to Sturgis if realized that some gas stations are very far apart. Coasted into that little gas station on the edge of the Bad Lands...out of gas! After that experience, I stop at every station along the way.

The F6 gets great mileage per tank...approx. 240 miles, so spare gas should not be necessary if I fill up mid-tank when a station is available.

Once I stopped riding HD's and started riding VTX, Stratoliner, the B, I never carry oil. The Yami has close to 70K miles and the 2 yr old B has 25K on it. From TX to LA to Canada, etc., etc. Never carried oil.

Heading out late July for another 5 wk trip. Once I'm off the 'freeway' it's hwys. Whenever I'm in the desert and/or mtns if I come across a gas station and I'm half a tank down or less - I fill up. Left side bag has my cold weather gear. Leather, cple of thermals, cple pair of gloves, cple of Balaclavas (in case one of my ladies flys in along the journey to ride for a few days), cple pair of warmer socks (all of it fits in a bag liner). Light weight bike cover folds into this bag as well, not the liner. Right side bag contains, my toiletry bag, clothes for the up coming night's stay / dinner. Sandals and shoes. On the bike rack and/or passenger seat is Kuryakyn full dresser tour bag - just picked up Kuryakyn's newest version called the XKursion XW1.5 Roller Bag. 2 pair of pants, t-shirts, etc., etc. Enough clothes for 6 days. On the 6th day, I'm doing laundry at the hotel. Helmets, I generally cargo net to the bag or luggage rack.
    "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely your own." Bruce Lee

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." - Helen Keller

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne

lot of good ideas for the necessities on a long trip.
    I also have a 'big bike parts' rack behind the passenger back rest. My bike suitcase fits well on the passenger seat, but can't figure out how to fasten my coat or other, to the rack. I've tried bungees but not very secure.
    Any other ideas on what or how to fasten things to the rack?

Use nothing but rok straps the best
    secure and don't worry
    stevenolts

4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Pre-flight report....

I'm loaded up and ready for a 6-day trip from Olympia, WA to Grand Tetons (via Lolo Pass). Everything I need is packed into two saddlebag liner bags that allow a little bit of room fore and aft to "scrunch" in some soft stuff like tote bag for rain suit.

Saddlebag Liner Bag w-extra.jpg

A tool kit, some bottles of water and misc necessities such as cigars and extra gloves are in a round tail rack bag from Saddlemen. I'm figuring on one possible load of wash on D-4 and luckily the forecast is stable across all days so I don't have to pack a lot of extra clothing to "be ready."

I thought I was going to have to use my Saddlemen "Tunnel bag", but don't need it! (And it should be noted that I'm packing my small CPAP machine in one of the Liner Bags.

Barrel Bag - Rear Rack.jpg

Over the years... I've learned to "pack light" and when traveling with a group, we divide up things like First Aid Kits, 12v compressor, etc. so we're not doubling-up.

One thing I'd love some feedback on is what "cargo net" people are using to strap things down on the passenger seat. The stylish, but odd shape of the grab rails isn't "Hook friendly."
    Last edited by OlyF6B; 06-25-2018 at 08:16 PM.

I use short soft ties around the grab rails and hook my bungees to the soft tie loop.

Try the rok straps
    you will never worry about thinks falling off the bike or shifting again.
    I love them / before I would always try to look at my luggage as I was riding or reach back and make sure it wasn't shifting.
    Never again these straps are rok solid!!!
    Stevenolts

4 of these (http://www.bigbikeparts.com/template...2&GroupGuid=16) on the hand brackets allow me to stretch a cargo net across the pax seat. This gives me a great spot to stash things I may quickly need (like rain gear or covers). When riding in the rain, it's covered by my RDL seat cover.
    2016 F6B Deluxe with goodies.