New Dunlop Elite 4 Tires Installed Today - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Dunlop Elite 4 Tires Installed Today

Quote Originally Posted by lloydmoore1 View Post
    I now have the 4 on the front and bridgestone on the back. Works great for me. The 4 on the back I found to be to slippery in corners especially in the rain. I ride aggressively so you should have no problems. I lost the rear end 4 times with the 4 on the back and 0 times with the original stones.
    Ride safe and enjoy
    Wondering, how many of the "4" times you lost the rear end, were they in the rain? How's the rear feel on dry corners?

Lost the rear 4 times? Did you go down? or are you saying you spun the rear tire and slipped the bike, but it grabbed and you were puckered to the seat?
    Happens with all tires, no matter what brand you are on. Tire traction and wet are a hard one to define...please explain your comment

Thank you...

I wanted to go with Elite 4's, have always run the elites on my previous wings, 1200 and 1500 and always liked them. This is the first time I've had radials on a bike. I usually get very good mileage out of my tires. My original stones, I got 17K on the back tire and just changed my front at 20K on my 16 deluxe. So I put original stones back on due to the price I got them for. I should have replaced them about 3K earlier on each though, ran them a little past wear bars. I ride mostly interstate back and forth on a long commute. Probably will try E 4's next time, waiting to see more results. I do like the way the stones handle and I'm not a big fan of bridgestone at all. I've always been able to get high mileage out of all my tires as long as I've been riding, in fact the guy at the local bike shop (not dealer) mentioned when I took the wheel and tire to him to mount for me, he said the wear was perfect on the tires, so said I'm doing everything right. But have always gotten nearly twice the mileage out of the front vs. the rear. Had always done two rear tires for every front tire. Maybe that won't happen with radials. I run 40 psi both front and rear.
    Last edited by tpwood; 06-18-2018 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billsim View Post
    Had 12,000 miles on my OEM's and went with Elite 4's. At 20,000 miles they have no flat spot in the center (my OEM's did at 8,000).
    They are wearing great. Will do E4's again when needed.
    What pressures do you run? I'm on my 2nd set of Elite 4's, didn't get anywhere near 20,000 miles out of the first set, and I'm adament about checking tire pressure.

I have about 6,000 miles on my E-4's and they look like new..Not an aggressive rider and check tires often..Had best luck with ride and wear at 41psi rear and 38 psi front....Regards and ride safe

Quote Originally Posted by Pumper View Post
    Lost the rear 4 times? Did you go down? or are you saying you spun the rear tire and slipped the bike, but it grabbed and you were puckered to the seat?
    Happens with all tires, no matter what brand you are on. Tire traction and wet are a hard one to define...please explain your comment

Thank you...
    one time turning left at a t junction in the rain. The rear tire lost traction and spun out almost to no return.
    one time on the tail of the dragon on a turn riding aggressively on a dry road
    one time turning right of a main road in 2nd gear.
    one time turning right off a main road in 1st gear on a dry road with a bit off dirt
    Put 23,000 kilometers on those tires..in each time I just grip the tank off the gas slightly and ride it out.
    so the rear feels slippery to me me with those tires..only my opinion based off my riding style.

put 64000 kilometers on 3 sets of stones and never repeated the above

hope this answers your questions..ride safe and enjoy

I tried replacing my stock Stones with the E4's, front and rear, when I replaced the originals @ 13,500 miles. @ about 1500 miles the rear tires started to get very noisy and picked up a vibration when I turned left or right and got off center. I left them on and when I got to about 6000 miles it was getting so bad that I went ahead and went back to a set of stock Bridgestones. The front tire by then was also starting to cup and wear pretty badly in the middle. I have a Super Brace on the bike and I also have changed out the neck bearings for the Allballz tapered bearing so any wear on the front was just plain tire wear. The E 4's also always felt like the bike wanted to wander off of center to the left or right. Probably due to the high center performance design of the tires.
    I have almost 3k on the Stones and absolutely no wear so far and the bike seems to track more steadily and stay centered more. Hope this helps, looks like I am one of the few here who was not impressed with the E 4's but that is my opinion.

Lots of great info shared by everyone. I’m doing a Colorado mountains day ride on Monday so I’ll have an initial impression of how I compare them with the Stones. My buddy is putting a set Friday on his Valk Interstate. 2k mike trip the 2nd week in July will show me how they work for me in most conditions.
    Last edited by F6Bster; 06-19-2018 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobR View Post
    I tried replacing my stock Stones with the E4's, front and rear, when I replaced the originals @ 13,500 miles. @ about 1500 miles the rear tires started to get very noisy and picked up a vibration when I turned left or right and got off center. I left them on and when I got to about 6000 miles it was getting so bad that I went ahead and went back to a set of stock Bridgestones. The front tire by then was also starting to cup and wear pretty badly in the middle. I have a Super Brace on the bike and I also have changed out the neck bearings for the Allballz tapered bearing so any wear on the front was just plain tire wear. The E 4's also always felt like the bike wanted to wander off of center to the left or right. Probably due to the high center performance design of the tires.
    I have almost 3k on the Stones and absolutely no wear so far and the bike seems to track more steadily and stay centered more. Hope this helps, looks like I am one of the few here who was not impressed with the E 4's but that is my opinion.
    I agree you are one of the few that have issues with E-4's...Don't know why, maybe just a rare incident or ??...Most with E-4's have no problems and seem to like the tire compared to the Stones.....Ride safe

Quote Originally Posted by lloydmoore1 View Post
    one time turning left at a t junction in the rain. The rear tire lost traction and spun out almost to no return.
    one time on the tail of the dragon on a turn riding aggressively on a dry road
    one time turning right of a main road in 2nd gear.
    one time turning right off a main road in 1st gear on a dry road with a bit off dirt
    Put 23,000 kilometers on those tires..in each time I just grip the tank off the gas slightly and ride it out.
    so the rear feels slippery to me me with those tires..only my opinion based off my riding style.

put 64000 kilometers on 3 sets of stones and never repeated the above

hope this answers your questions..ride safe and enjoy
    I was really happy with the stock Bridgestones and averaged 18,000 miles on five sets, but decided to try the E4's. I have about 10,000 miles on them now and although they are wearing great, I have experienced similar "loss of traction" events as lloydmoore. I never experienced any of these issues in the 90,000 miles I put on Stones. I don't like the trade off and will go back to Bridgestones if these E4's ever wear out.