Close calls

Thread: Close calls

Close calls

How many close calls do you average per year?

I know this is a subjective thing, and no data is perfect, but I am curious about your experiences.

Close call definition: An event on a motorcycle in which the operator of the motorcycle has to take evasive action, to at least a moderate degree, as a result of another motor vehicle operator's actions, to avoid an imminent collision. Animals in your right of way count as well.

Close call example: Vehicle pulls into your right of way; you apply the brakes with moderate or greater force; swerve to avoid the vehicle.

Myself: 1-2 per year. I ride 7,000 miles on average, mostly rural two-lane highways. I have not had a close call yet this year in 2,500 miles.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Maybe one a year.... I have a headlight modulater and see people take a double take often before pulling out. I am also extremly defensive driving especially since I live in the Orlando area where half the people are looking for signs to Mickey Mouse. Over 30k on the bike, one trip was 7k. Black but repainted 2 years ago.....

Got over 200,000 miles of seat time since the '66. Probably only 3 or 4 real pucker up calls.

One with a garbage can that flew off the back of a pickup truck I was following, a deer, a road gator and an asshole 18 wheeler that thought it was fun riding off on the berm to kick up gravel and then swerve into me when I would try to pass. I slow down, he slow down, I speed up, he speed up. It was n a two lane back road, no traffic and no houses, coming back from Sturgis. I finally found a place to stop and he stopped. I was camping at Sturgis and had gear with me. Went to my saddle bags and pulled out my hatchet and went to have a discussion with the idiot. Screaming some choice words and waving the hatchet as I approached his door, he flipped me the finger, laughed and drove off. I don't know if the qualifies as a close call but it sure pissed me off!

I ride like I am invisible to everyone but they are all out to get me! Especially at cross roads and streets. Never trust a stop light, stop sign or turn signal.

I don't know how many a year but it's a lot more than 1 or 2 times.
    Just yesterday I had 2 with deer, one I came around a blind corner in the woods and it was just standing in the middle of the road, and later on they was one deer running at full speed in a field at a 45 degree angle headed for me. Both times I hit the brakes or else I would've been eating venison.
    The deer are bad this time of the year, we put about 100 miles on yesterday and saw 8 deer.
    Got to be careful and kept the eyes open I don't drive at night if I don't have to.

Ive had more close calls driving my car than MC. A few times people pull out in front of me over the years. All my accidents have been my fault.
    Luckly, only one on my bike 2 years ago, after 40 years of riding. A car came from a blind curve and I flinched. Flinched myself right off the road.
    You don't get up and walk away from a MC flip. You get a $800 ambulance ride.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Was riding in Arkansas last week. Had a big ole black bear cross in front of me, on hyway 123. It was about 11:30 am. Kinda of a surprise. Figures I might see a few deer or some wild hogs, never thought I'd have a bear run out in my path. By the way, if your riding Arkansas, Hwy 123 is way better than the Pig Trail.

Maybe it's more congested here, because I'm sure I have 3-4 per season, plus many more that I see coming and can prepare for.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    Maybe it's more congested here, because I'm sure I have 3-4 per season, plus many more that I see coming and can prepare for.
    Riding instructors say that, with a good road strategy, you should see a vast majority of close calls before being in the midst of dealing with one.

I agree with this. I had a post of few weeks ago about eliminating uncontrolled left turns in my commute to work and home (stopping and waiting to turn with oncoming traffic and traffic coming behind you, without the aid of a light or stop sign). Those are top hot spots that are dripping with close call potential. Also, there's a couple of 90 degree turns in my commute to work that I used to try to challenge myself to take at 50 mph ... which is right at the edge of dragging a peg ... but those curves have terrible sight lines in both directions, which means I am going blind into a hard curve at 45-50 mph, in a moderate lean. Not good. I no longer take those curves at that speed and save it for curves that I can see through.

In fact, right after I made the decision to cool it in those curves, I came around one of them and saw a dead deer just 50 feet beyond the curve. Good reminder.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

"I ride like I am invisible to everyone but they are all out to get me!" My moto also, been riding like you for a hundred years, a few close ones, but today it seems as we are targets. Not only for vehicles, but wildlife is on to us now also.
    Stay safe and live by the creed "we are invisible"

My head is on a swivel like you can't believe, but yet, I still have moments where I lapse and have close calls. It just goes with the hobby. Wrong place, right place, we'll keep on rolling. How many videos have we seen where you have no idea how the person survived, and many more where they haven't. It isn't stopping me.....yet!
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.