Linked Brakes question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linked Brakes question

Linked Brakes question

So I was out riding around the neighborhood and decided to practice my braking in a parking lot. I didn't go real fast, probably up to 20-25 mph, then would hit the brakes pretty hard. First a combination of front and back, then more front, then more back. I could get the front brake to lock up and skid the tire, the back brake alone was more of a gradual slow down, albeit a rapid one. Is this normal, or should the rear tire lock up as well?

Hitting both brakes was a really quick stop, but my front tire did skid across the pavement some, which on one test, sent the handle bars to the right, then left as I corrected, I thought I was going down for a second there. The practice was helpful, as I have an Ultra Limited with ABS, and it would be easy to forget these brakes are not ABS. Practice from time to time pays off.

I doubt if many folks are going to be able to give you a 100% correct answer. The "linked system" seems to stop & work great for most folks. I brake the same way I've done for decades. I suggest you try to google: Honda Goldwing linked brakes & see what pops up.. let us know...……..

Good idea, not able to read them at the moment, but every find so far is from one forum or another, so there may never be a true answer.

The type of tires you have on front & rear would be good to know also

Quote Originally Posted by STRaider View Post
    So I was out riding around the neighborhood and decided to practice my braking in a parking lot. I didn't go real fast, probably up to 20-25 mph, then would hit the brakes pretty hard. First a combination of front and back, then more front, then more back. I could get the front brake to lock up and skid the tire, the back brake alone was more of a gradual slow down, albeit a rapid one. Is this normal, or should the rear tire lock up as well?

Hitting both brakes was a really quick stop, but my front tire did skid across the pavement some, which on one test, sent the handle bars to the right, then left as I corrected, I thought I was going down for a second there. The practice was helpful, as I have an Ultra Limited with ABS, and it would be easy to forget these brakes are not ABS. Practice from time to time pays off.
    Totally agree with this. An underutilized safety feature is practice, something I am guilty of. Practicing threshold braking builds up muscle memory, which is what your default reaction is under a panic/high stress situation.

I do like to zip around manhole covers at slower speeds, pretending they are obstructions I am avoiding. Every now and then, on an empty road, I like to try an aggressive maneuver by performing an evasive maneuver at higher speeds (~40), such as swerving in between passing lines into the other lane, then back within the space between those lines. I always have my full gear on when doing this in case I lose it.

One time, while doing one of these maneuvers, I took myself and the make believe situation too seriously, and counter-steered hard and leaned up and in, left knee just inside the faring. I was pleasantly surprised how well the bike reacted.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by Felloverboard View Post
    The type of tires you have on front & rear would be good to know also
    I have the Dunlop Elite 4's.

Keep the pressure up where it should be, they'll be good til they wear out. I prefer AVON's, I found the Dunlop's sidewall to be on the hard side. Just my personal opinion.

The Motorcycle Safety Foundation teaches the best stopping distance is achieved when both breaks are applied together to a point just below the wheel lock up.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

I noticed the other day under heavy rear brake application only, the link between rear and front was really noticeable as the front end would dive. I am typically a hard front braker, with upgraded rotors and pads on the front, rear are stock. Linked system is amazing and knowing how it will act under extreme braking.

Great practice also to do slow and high speed maneuver, very important to understand how the bike will act when you have the real need...Thank you for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Pumper View Post
    I noticed the other day under heavy rear brake application only, the link between rear and front was really noticeable as the front end would dive. I am typically a hard front braker, with upgraded rotors and pads on the front, rear are stock. Linked system is amazing and knowing how it will act under extreme braking.

Great practice also to do slow and high speed maneuver, very important to understand how the bike will act when you have the real need...Thank you for sharing!
    I have to admit, I was caught off guard when the front wheel locked, skidded,and pulled hard to the right from the skid. I would not have been ready for that under duress. Granted, I was experimenting and not operating the brakes as I would normally, but I am much more familiar with the brakes characteristics now. I've practiced braking before, but not just really slamming down on them, front vs back, etc. The linked brakes work great, but it'll be just ABS for me going forward. That was one hesitation of buying this bike, but I do like the bike (a lot) and have not had any issues with the current braking system while on the road.
    Last edited by STRaider; 06-19-2018 at 04:36 PM.