Quote Originally Posted by sabre85 View Post
Having ridden a 2000 VFR, linked brake system very similar to the 6, since it was new I would say your experience with panic stops and the rear brake is pretty normal. The rear tire is very hard to lock up on dry pavement with any combination of technique. When using the rear brake there is a proportioning valve that controls how much front brake force is applied, along with a mechanical delay that initiates that force just after the rear pads engage. On a bike like the 6 that carries a lot of weight over the rear, and the balanced system, the rear is hard to lock up.

Pumper:

As said I've ridden a VFR for many years and love the way the linked brakes work, especially the way the rear brakes work. I'm not as happy with the 6's rear braking performance. The amount of braking force sent to the fronts comes on too strong and sudden. It may be the delay built into the system is just a touch too long.

I ride fairly aggressively and have had to change my braking technique on the 6 because I don't like the way the 6 feels when trail braking into a corner on the rear brakes. That initial jolt to the front makes it feel a little wonky to me.
All that said, when you need to get stopped in a hurry on the 6 the brakes are like throwing out an anchor!
Good post. Thank you for the info.