Linked Brakes question - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linked Brakes question

That is why we practice, to have an understanding (hopefully) of how the bike will act, or how we will react I should say.

Pumper

Rolling friction...if you do not practice extreme braking...one may be in for a big surprise when they need to do it for reeal

Having ridden a 2000 VFR, linked brake system very similar to the 6, since it was new I would say your experience with panic stops and the rear brake is pretty normal. The rear tire is very hard to lock up on dry pavement with any combination of technique. When using the rear brake there is a proportioning valve that controls how much front brake force is applied, along with a mechanical delay that initiates that force just after the rear pads engage. On a bike like the 6 that carries a lot of weight over the rear, and the balanced system, the rear is hard to lock up.

Pumper:

As said I've ridden a VFR for many years and love the way the linked brakes work, especially the way the rear brakes work. I'm not as happy with the 6's rear braking performance. The amount of braking force sent to the fronts comes on too strong and sudden. It may be the delay built into the system is just a touch too long.

I ride fairly aggressively and have had to change my braking technique on the 6 because I don't like the way the 6 feels when trail braking into a corner on the rear brakes. That initial jolt to the front makes it feel a little wonky to me.
    All that said, when you need to get stopped in a hurry on the 6 the brakes are like throwing out an anchor!
    Last edited by sabre85; 06-28-2018 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sabre85 View Post
    Having ridden a 2000 VFR, linked brake system very similar to the 6, since it was new I would say your experience with panic stops and the rear brake is pretty normal. The rear tire is very hard to lock up on dry pavement with any combination of technique. When using the rear brake there is a proportioning valve that controls how much front brake force is applied, along with a mechanical delay that initiates that force just after the rear pads engage. On a bike like the 6 that carries a lot of weight over the rear, and the balanced system, the rear is hard to lock up.

Pumper:

As said I've ridden a VFR for many years and love the way the linked brakes work, especially the way the rear brakes work. I'm not as happy with the 6's rear braking performance. The amount of braking force sent to the fronts comes on too strong and sudden. It may be the delay built into the system is just a touch too long.

I ride fairly aggressively and have had to change my braking technique on the 6 because I don't like the way the 6 feels when trail braking into a corner on the rear brakes. That initial jolt to the front makes it feel a little wonky to me.
    All that said, when you need to get stopped in a hurry on the 6 the brakes are like throwing out an anchor!
    Good post. Thank you for the info.

Yes, agree the transfer to the front end is rather abrupt when rear braking into a corner, learned quickly I needed to adjust also...for a lunker of a machine it does have good braking abilities...for the most part.

Pumper:

Thus the reason for the front antilock. But the antilock on my 13 b does not work with the rear brake pedal. only the front. I took it apart and checked.
    So I disabled it.
    Also, I don't notice any sudden front braking when panic stoping with the rear pedal. They seem to come in at the same time.
    I do notice a little front end dive right away.
    Panic stop with the front does through the front end down but the stoping power in the front is really good and I really had to grab as hard as I could to lock the front tire. Ive done a few hard stops with the front on other bikes and the B has them beat. My first reaction is to grab the front. Thats the quickest one to get to.
    ITS ALL GOOD

There is no antilock on the 13 in the states, don't know about other countries versions. As far as I know Honda didn't put antilock brakes on any of the F 6 B's.

I thought/think the Canadian models came with abs

Quote Originally Posted by Vondawg View Post
    I thought/think the Canadian models came with abs
    Yes, they do.
    2013 F6B in black of course

There is no antilock on the 13 in the states, don't know about other countries versions. As far as I know Honda didn't put antilock brakes on any of the F 6 B's.
    I stand corrected. My bad. I meant to say anti-dive.
    ITS ALL GOOD