Test drove a 2018 6 speed Tour today

Thread: Test drove a 2018 6 speed Tour today

Test drove a 2018 6 speed Tour today

Wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. It does have a neat gyroscopic (super planted) feel to it when leaned. The seat is about 1" higher. Exhaust was kinda loud. Overall it feels more like a sport tourer though and I swear my B's torque-ier. Maybe it was just a poorly put together demo bike. Well, I just saved a ton of money. JMHO
    Last edited by Zteve; 06-20-2018 at 11:01 PM.

That's cool. I'm looking forward to riding the 6 speed. I loved the DCT version, but not enough to go that far in debt. I hear the 6 speed is a smoother transmission than the B, though it's hard to think how that's possible. However, I would welcome the 6th gear and lower RPM's up top. Can't count the times I've phantom shifted into nothingness while already in 5th, lol.

Jason

I've had a 2013 and 2016 F6B. They were both incredible motorcycles and I loved them.
    My opinion is my new 2018 is 10 times the bike compared to the previous Gen, hands down.
    Of course that's my opinion and others are entitled to theirs. Power, handling, fuel economy, power windshield, suspension, electronics and entertainment..... it's a long list of improvements.
    And yes, the 6 speed is the smoothest manual transmission I have ever ridden on a motorcycle.

Beagle

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    That's cool. I'm looking forward to riding the 6 speed. I loved the DCT version, but not enough to go that far in debt. I hear the 6 speed is a smoother transmission than the B, though it's hard to think how that's possible. However, I would welcome the 6th gear and lower RPM's up top. Can't count the times I've phantom shifted into nothingness while already in 5th, lol.

Jason
    It's an old topic, but still relevant. 2800 rpms at 60 and 3200 at 70 is an unnecessary waste of fuel. Plenty of power on tap -500 rpm at both speeds.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post

Jason
    I really wanted to test the DCT LOL. The gearbox did have very close and crisp shifting. At about 60-65 MPH 6th felt too (in tour mode) high and I had to drop down to 5th to pass with any authority. Maybe if I had flicked it to sport it would have been better. Again JMHO.

I'm intrigued by the 2018 but I really don't care about the transmission, DCT or 6 speed, I'm content with my 5 speed 2013 F6B.
    The things I am intrigued by are ride by wire, reduced weight, and the improved front suspension. I have a 2013 FJR and a 2013 F6B. The throttle control on the FJR is much, much better than on my 2013 F6B, which is what makes me so interested in ride-by-wire. When I'm riding 2-up on narrow streets with stop-and-go and hills involved, the F6B doesn't compare to the throttle control of the FJR. Also, I think the FJR suspension handles bumpy roads much better than the F6B.
    If forced to keep only one of my bikes I'd keep the F6B over the FJR. My main complaints with my F6B seem to be addressed with the 2018 Gold Wing (on paper only, haven't ridden one yet).
    I do prefer the sound (or lack of sound) of my F6B compared to my FJR.
    I guess it depends on what you are seeking out of the new wing. I'm still intrigued (unfortunately, I don't want to be).
    Riding the upward spiral.

My opinion is my new 2018 is 10 times the bike compared to the previous Gen, hands down.

Beagle[/QUOTE]

Come on, 10 times?

Quote Originally Posted by JGF6B View Post
    I'm intrigued by the 2018 but I really don't care about the transmission, DCT or 6 speed, I'm content with my 5 speed 2013 F6B.
    The things I am intrigued by are ride by wire, reduced weight, and the improved front suspension. I have a 2013 FJR and a 2013 F6B. The throttle control on the FJR is much, much better than on my 2013 F6B, which is what makes me so interested in ride-by-wire. When I'm riding 2-up on narrow streets with stop-and-go and hills involved, the F6B doesn't compare to the throttle control of the FJR. Also, I think the FJR suspension handles bumpy roads much better than the F6B.
    If forced to keep only one of my bikes I'd keep the F6B over the FJR. My main complaints with my F6B seem to be addressed with the 2018 Gold Wing (on paper only, haven't ridden one yet).
    I do prefer the sound (or lack of sound) of my F6B compared to my FJR.
    I guess it depends on what you are seeking out of the new wing. I'm still intrigued (unfortunately, I don't want to be).
    I installed a Booster Plug (https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/hon...ries-53c1.html) on my 2013 B and it greatly improved drive-ability. Smoothed the throttle right out. https://www.webbikeworld.com/booster-plug/
    Last edited by Zteve; 06-23-2018 at 06:50 AM.