Paint on 2016 F6B

Thread: Paint on 2016 F6B

Paint on 2016 F6B

I had a 2013 F6B (red), and had some problems with the paint. I am now looking at a 2016, and was wondering if the paint issue had been solved by that time. Also, were the any developments between 2013 and 2016 that I should know?

Thanks in advance. i have really missed this forum!

I was thinking the paint problem was only on red and black bikes, neither of which is offed in 2016. The biggest difference is in 15 cruise control became standard and the black mufflers are standard. Some word about a small transmission change to better avoid ghost shifting. No problems with 15 matt grey paint.

I have a 2016 Deluxe with the matte white paint. No issues.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdaniel View Post
    I have a 2016 Deluxe with the matte white paint. No issues.
    I really do miss my F6B...it is a great bike!

I have the 2016 matte white deluxe also. I just use soap and water to clean it and it looks good. I know that there are products to use on matte paint, but I do not see the need to use anything else.

I have a 2016 matte white with no paint issues either.

I have a '16 with no issues. One caution - for many, many years I have used Simple Green spray when I wash my bike. Worked great. However, with the matte finish it leaves a white residue. Bye, bye Simple Green.
    "... there may be more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than dreamt of in your philosophy."

2016 Honda Goldwing F6B
    Traxxion Mega Monty

1975 Honda Goldwing GL1000
    16K, all original

2013 Soft Paint

I've owned a red 2013 and matte white 2016. The 2016 has vastly more durable paint. I was able to keep my 2013 looking good by being extremely careful, but I still ended up a pink towel whenever I waxed it. 2013 was the only year I've ever heard complaints about so I have to assume Honda knew it had a problem and fixed it for the 2014 models. I read that the problem was due to the water based paints they used on the 2013s, along with the lack of a clear coat.

Several automakers also had problems with the transition to water based finishes. I think EPA regulations have forced the switch. Even though Honda motorcycles are no longer built in the USA, the company is quite obsessed with being 'green'. For example, over a decade ago their Formula 1 car had an 'Earth Dreams' paint scheme.

Glad I clear-coated my Red '13 soon after purchased new. Still looks great!