How hot is too hot to ride?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How hot is too hot to ride?

How hot is too hot to ride?

Going to be 90-100 degrees this weekend here. When do you consider it too hot to ride? What tricks do you have for staying cool on the bike?
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

Stay away from stop and go traffic. Always much cooler in the country. As long as the temps are below body temp then you get a cooling affect when moving. Full face stays at home and jeans and a t-shirt up to the 90s. Home in AC or on the water after that. This weekend our club is doing an evening ride so the temps will be much lower than the highs for the day. The lower 80s and no sun is just fine with me.

I used to live 30 miles west of Palm Springs CA. Ride to the mountains or to a beach if possible.

For those of us in the desert southwest high temperatures are a part of life. When riding in temps over 100 degrees you need to avoid having any exposed skin because the air flowing across your skin heats and doesn't cool. A full face helmet is cooler because it keeps the wind off your face. Long sleeves also keep you cooler. Most of us also where neck wraps such as endura cool and cool vests. Hydration is a must, your body cools itself by sweating and you must keep up with fluid loss. In extremely hot temps it is necessary to be continually drinking. If you do not need to pee every 100 miles you are not drinking enough. I don't know anyone who really enjoys high temps but a lot of us like riding enough we learn to deal with the high temps and keep on riding.

I was riding yesterday in 111 degree temps and it wasn't really comfortable but I did enjoy being on the bike. Its all good as long as you are on two wheels.

Az wingrider

I don't get the 100+ temps often, but occasionally hit the mid 90's. I freeze two 1.0L bottles of water and drink from them as the ice melts. I also have two neck cooling wraps that I wrap around the frozen waters and alternate. I just recently bought a long sleeve "Fishing Shirt" that has mesh under the arms and along some of the back area. I've worn it once and it worked great. Will not hold up well as protection from road rash, but it's a trade off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Draggin shirt, keep moving, stay hydrated and take an ac break now an then.

Quote Originally Posted by Az Wingrider View Post
    For those of us in the desert southwest high temperatures are a part of life. When riding in temps over 100 degrees you need to avoid having any exposed skin because the air flowing across your skin heats and doesn't cool. A full face helmet is cooler because it keeps the wind off your face. Long sleeves also keep you cooler. Most of us also where neck wraps such as endura cool and cool vests. Hydration is a must, your body cools itself by sweating and you must keep up with fluid loss. In extremely hot temps it is necessary to be continually drinking. If you do not need to pee every 100 miles you are not drinking enough. I don't know anyone who really enjoys high temps but a lot of us like riding enough we learn to deal with the high temps and keep on riding.

I was riding yesterday in 111 degree temps and it wasn't really comfortable but I did enjoy being on the bike. Its all good as long as you are on two wheels.

Az wingrider
    I wish we could "like" posts here, all your comments are spot on.

I scheduled a Meetup group ride for this Saturday, running a route that is in the latest Ride Texas magazine. It's supposed to be around 99 later that day, (I'll be back to the house by 1p, in the pool by 1:05p), but there have been no takers. I'm happier on two wheels than a couch...

Those temps are read in the shade, in the sun you can ad 10-12 degrees, on the road, in traffic ad 15-20 degrees

I find that as I age I tolerate the heat a lot less than when I was young(er). I don't like riding in temps much above 80*. My ideal temp range for riding is 55* - 75*. Consequently my annual mileage is much lower these days. My bike goes into storage twice a year, once for the Winter months of Dec.- March, and the second time during the "Dog Days" of Summer which came earlier this year. Gonna have heat index of 105 - 110 for the upcoming weekend.

Low humidity evaporative cooling helps if you live in a low humidity climate. A camelbak with ice water helps to keep you constantly hydrated.