How hot is too hot to ride? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How hot is too hot to ride?

Swamp Cooler

I've seen 100+ more than once this summer. I soak my mesh jacket and shirt at every stop. I kind of become a moving swamp cooler.

Soaking my shirt works great till it dry's in about 10 miles. But the effects last much longer. Wear long sleeve poly with sun protection. Water in the cup holder. Nothing above 86 or so degrees for me. Completely covered. Regular rest stops. Get off and explore a little. I have regular routes I take, but one new one a week. Cary my pocket fisherman. Never could take the heat above 85 much. A few of my stops are air conditioned. Don't know how it its gonna go this August when we go out west from northern Michigan. Should be a little cooler up there I hope.
    The main thing that is mentioned here is hydration. Hot air wicks moisture no mater how you cover up.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by six2go View Post
    I find that as I age I tolerate the heat a lot less than when I was young(er). I don't like riding in temps much above 80*. My ideal temp range for riding is 55* - 75*. Consequently my annual mileage is much lower these days. My bike goes into storage twice a year, once for the Winter months of Dec.- March, and the second time during the "Dog Days" of Summer which came earlier this year. Gonna have heat index of 105 - 110 for the upcoming weekend.
    I am with you my friend...At 78 my age is starting to change a lot of things in my life including riding on days over 80 degrees...Just gets to hot in traffic for me. When I ride I want to enjoy the experience and not get hot, uncomfortable and be miserable!!!!....Regards and ride safe

Anything from 50-75 degrees is perfect but I can manage pretty well up to 90 degrees.Nice thing about living here in Northern Nevada is that at my 5000ft elevation it can get to 100 degrees but a 30 minute ride up to Tahoe or above will cool down 20 degrees and make the ride tolerable again-only problem is on the way back down later in the day that 100+ really hits hard again.

A couple of years ago on a ride south to Mazatlan I started the day normally enough in Utah riding south toward Nogales. As I got closer to Tuscan the temp started to rise reaching 115 on the f6b thermo and stayed there for a solid hour and a half. Tuscan ain't big but stuck in that rush hour traffic it was the closest to an emergency I've ever experienced. So this August the wife and I are doing Vegas, she takes the scheduled airline and I take the blazing saddles flight on the f6b. Anyway, check out this vest. Some of the reviewers are bikers. I bought one and I'm impressed. I haven't used it yet but they tell you to soak it before it's first use. It took over 24 hours to dry outside in the back yard. Of course it will take less time in the wind but I'm optimistic. I'll also get a camel back. That is the second link below.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VMF206...3BE?th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Vibrelli-Hydr...hydration+pack

Quote Originally Posted by Az Wingrider View Post
    For those of us in the desert southwest high temperatures are a part of life. When riding in temps over 100 degrees you need to avoid having any exposed skin because the air flowing across your skin heats and doesn't cool. A full face helmet is cooler because it keeps the wind off your face. Long sleeves also keep you cooler. Most of us also where neck wraps such as endura cool and cool vests. Hydration is a must, your body cools itself by sweating and you must keep up with fluid loss. In extremely hot temps it is necessary to be continually drinking. If you do not need to pee every 100 miles you are not drinking enough. I don't know anyone who really enjoys high temps but a lot of us like riding enough we learn to deal with the high temps and keep on riding.

I was riding yesterday in 111 degree temps and it wasn't really comfortable but I did enjoy being on the bike. Its all good as long as you are on two wheels.

Az wingrider
    Well said! I agree 100°! 😉
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

Xgringo,

The cooling vest is a very good idea. As I mentioned in an earlier post I wear one myself. The one I have has a mandarin collar which helps a lot. I wet mine at every stop. I also strongly recommend a neck wrap. I use an Endura cool most of the time but I also have a HyperKewl with the beads. Having something around your neck makes a tremendous difference because it cools the blood going to your head because the Carotid artery is very close to the surface in your neck. Also if you can keep a bottle of water within reach you can pour that on your neck and shoulders to re wet your vest an neck wrap as you are riding. The camelback is also a great thing when riding. Not waiting until you stop to drink is very helpful in avoiding dehydration.

Travel safe and enjoy
    Az Wingrider

Hi AZ Wingrider!!

Thanks for the info, Just ordered a Chill Pal neck wrap. See you in Cortez!!

Tom

I have ridden at 107F across Kansas in direct sun. I had a 'Heat out" shirt under my jacket but ended up taking the jacket off and folding my Air Wings in. The shirt makes you sweat then uses the moving air to cool you down. It actually worked !Still hot but not unbearable. Stopped for water and shade more than I would have normally.

+1 to everything AZ Wingrider said plus I add a Bohn skull cap soaked in water under the helmet, and if it's really hot 105+ a cloth bag of ice between the cool vest and mesh jacket works wonders.
    NMRed
    IBA 63255