How hot is too hot to ride?

Thread: How hot is too hot to ride?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    For those of us in the desert southwest high temperatures are a part of life. When riding in temps over 100 degrees you need to avoid having any exposed skin because the air flowing across your skin heats and doesn't cool. A full face helmet is cooler because it keeps the wind off your face. Long sleeves also keep you cooler. Most of us also where neck wraps such as endura cool and cool vests. Hydration is a must, your body cools itself by sweating and you must keep up with fluid loss. In extremely hot temps it is necessary to be continually drinking. If you do not need to pee every 100 miles you are not drinking enough. I don't know anyone who really enjoys high temps but a lot of us like riding enough we learn to deal with the high temps and keep on riding.

I was riding yesterday in 111 degree temps and it wasn't really comfortable but I did enjoy being on the bike. Its all good as long as you are on two wheels.

Az wingrider

Quote Originally Posted by Az Wingrider View Post
    For those of us in the desert southwest high temperatures are a part of life. When riding in temps over 100 degrees you need to avoid having any exposed skin because the air flowing across your skin heats and doesn't cool. A full face helmet is cooler because it keeps the wind off your face. Long sleeves also keep you cooler. Most of us also where neck wraps such as endura cool and cool vests. Hydration is a must, your body cools itself by sweating and you must keep up with fluid loss. In extremely hot temps it is necessary to be continually drinking. If you do not need to pee every 100 miles you are not drinking enough. I don't know anyone who really enjoys high temps but a lot of us like riding enough we learn to deal with the high temps and keep on riding.

I was riding yesterday in 111 degree temps and it wasn't really comfortable but I did enjoy being on the bike. Its all good as long as you are on two wheels.

Az wingrider
    I wish we could "like" posts here, all your comments are spot on.

I scheduled a Meetup group ride for this Saturday, running a route that is in the latest Ride Texas magazine. It's supposed to be around 99 later that day, (I'll be back to the house by 1p, in the pool by 1:05p), but there have been no takers. I'm happier on two wheels than a couch...

Quote Originally Posted by Az Wingrider View Post

Az wingrider
    Well said! I agree 100°! 😉
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"