Where to keep that cut off key

Thread: Where to keep that cut off key

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Where do you guys get your keys made? Honda said they'd make my keys for free but would charge me $48 each for the blanks. Do lock shops and department stores carry the right blanks?

HOKEY SMOKES BULLWINKLE... $48 each for the key blanks. I tried to get a spare made at my local ACE Hardware store where the guy insisted they were chipped keys. I told him they were just inexpensive keys. He kept passing it thru a little display that lights up when near a chipped key and seemed shocked after about 20 seconds of that then made me a key for about $5. After taking it home I found it wouldn't go all the way down into the ignition.
    Later on I went to the next town about ten minutes away which has an actual Key and Lock store; the guy at the counter made the correct one and it was maybe $6.50.... and it works well. I will go back to get more made.
    An area Walmart has installed an automatic key making machine; it looks like a big soda pop vending machine. I don't know anyone yet who has used it, so until I get a good review I will keep going back to the Lock and Key store for a guaranteed good copy.Between Brazil and TH Indiana, you will do much better finding a company who will give you a good copy for way less than the stealership.
    Note: I was a little worried about my shortened spares glued to the radio knobs for the gas and cubbyhole popping out and running away.
    I just glued two litttle but powerful neodymium (sp?) to the keys and they stay put, being attracted to the metal key hole.
    Last edited by PapaJT; 08-07-2018 at 06:47 PM. Reason: update