Where to keep that cut off key - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to keep that cut off key

Honda Directline (site sponsors) also carries those knobs.
    2016 F6B Deluxe with goodies.

I got blanks at Ace hardware....don't be like me. I got knobs, but they had a white dot on them. They work fine, and really do look like radio knobs!
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Bster View Post
    The picture that you posted shows it in the lock for the helmet lock, so I can't comment on how it looks in the gas door or the cubby lock.

I made two such keys with the knobs, one for the cubby/gas cap (it normally stays in the cubby lock and I only move it to the gas door when gassing upo) and one for the saddlebag lock. I measured them and tried them to get them just the perfect length so that the knob fits nicely and looks built-in. After that, I did the epoxy to make the key solid in the knob.
    What do you know, I tried it on the cubby lock and you are absolutely correct. Sort of balances with the radio knobs on the opposite side. Thanks for mentioning it.
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen
    MEC: first aid kit Nelson Rigg: Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag
    Rivco: Honda Adjustable Highway Mounts, Flatfoot pegs
    Uclear: HBC200 intercom system (spares)
    ZUMOLOCK to lock on Zumo 396

HOKEY SMOKES BULLWINKLE... $48 each for the key blanks. I tried to get a spare made at my local ACE Hardware store where the guy insisted they were chipped keys. I told him they were just inexpensive keys. He kept passing it thru a little display that lights up when near a chipped key and seemed shocked after about 20 seconds of that then made me a key for about $5. After taking it home I found it wouldn't go all the way down into the ignition.
    Later on I went to the next town about ten minutes away which has an actual Key and Lock store; the guy at the counter made the correct one and it was maybe $6.50.... and it works well. I will go back to get more made.
    An area Walmart has installed an automatic key making machine; it looks like a big soda pop vending machine. I don't know anyone yet who has used it, so until I get a good review I will keep going back to the Lock and Key store for a guaranteed good copy.Between Brazil and TH Indiana, you will do much better finding a company who will give you a good copy for way less than the stealership.
    Note: I was a little worried about my shortened spares glued to the radio knobs for the gas and cubbyhole popping out and running away.
    I just glued two litttle but powerful neodymium (sp?) to the keys and they stay put, being attracted to the metal key hole.
    Last edited by PapaJT; 08-07-2018 at 06:47 PM. Reason: update

I've had far better success with 'real' locksmiths than those jokers at "insert big-box store here" who only (barely) know how to use their machine.
    2016 F6B Deluxe with goodies.

I noticed the cubby lock has spring action that pushes on the key after you pull it out a bit, or it feels that way. Think it will stay in there while on the road??
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by tenxxx View Post
    I noticed the cubby lock has spring action that pushes on the key after you pull it out a bit, or it feels that way. Think it will stay in there while on the road??
    Never noticed that on my bike. Thousands of miles and no issue.
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Lowes, a 27R will operate the locks but not the ignition. Just a few bucks.
    Not completely true. I had two 27R keys cut at Home Depot and they both start the bike just fine. Here's the catch. The 27R is a shorter blank than the OEM key, so if the ignition is locked, the 27R will not push down far enough to unlock the ignition. However, if the ignition is not locked I can insert the key and start the bike just fine. Of course, after you shorten the key and glue a knob on it none of this applies.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Bster View Post
    Never noticed that on my bike. Thousands of miles and no issue.

I used to leave a key in the cubby key hole until a couple of weeks ago. After riding I noticed it was halfway out and even angled toward the ground. One more bump and I probably would have lost the key. I still have a tendency to leave a key in the saddle bag key hole (some times on purpose) but haven't noticed any key travel.
    Riding the upward spiral.