Seeking opinions from those who own both the F6B and the F6C
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeking opinions from those who own both the F6B and the F6C

Seeking opinions from those who own both the F6B and the F6C

So, I've been toying with the idea of trading my 2013 F6B for a 2018 wing tour but I can't swallow the poor value of my F6B and the high price of the '18 wing. Plan B is to get an alternate bike in addition to the F6B and contemplate the F6B to wing tour change in the future. I just sold my FJR so I'm down to one bike (me oh my).
    I'd like something naked, somewhat sporty with lots of wind. I want to feel wind everywhere. This will be my 'perfect weather' bike. When it get too cold, I'll ride the F6B. When the little lady wants to tag along, I'll ride the F6B. Right now I'm always hoping for more wind when riding the B in hot weather.
    I was down at the dealer checking out Kawi Z650, Z900, and Honda CB650, CB1000. I like the feel of the CBs over the Kawi. But then I sat on an F6C.... winner, winner. They have 2014 left overs discounted significantly so I'm seriously considering adding one to the garage.
    I know some of you B owners also own Cs. Will you provide some opinions? Will I gain significant wind compared the the B? Will most of the wind on the C be coming off the radiators (hot)?
    Any other opinions about the C are welcome.

thanks in advance.
    Riding the upward spiral.

Jim, my friend in CT has one. Dave Reed. That's the stripped version of the B right? I can text you his number. let me know.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Hi Wayne,
    It is the stripped version but slightly different rake/trail, different wheels, about 90 lbs less weight. I love the engine in the F6B, just hoping for lots of wind on beautiful days.
    They will let me test ride, was hoping for opinions of experienced owners of both the F6B and F6C. I don't want to end up wondering why I have two bikes (again).

Jim

Hey Jim, I had an F6C for about 10,000 miles before I sold it to buy the B and I have zero regrets. Before I say anything about the difference in bikes, what kind of windshield are you running on the B? I have a Mad5tad with an 11 inch shield and in it's lowest position, provides both great protection AND the nice feeling of still being on a motorcycle. HIGHLY recommend.

As to the bikes, there are lots of things I liked about the C, but there were a few that I really didn't enjoy. Chiefly, for me, the reach to the bars and the angle of the grips SUCKS on the Valk(I'm 6', 31 inch inseam), and it's a rather more bothersome pain in the ass to change than it should be, in my opinion. Some guys on the Valk forum went as far as to cut the electronics control lines, add more wiring, create custom mounts and bars, etc., just to address this. I think there might be a couple of work-arounds to this, but I didn't want to spend the time and possible expense without knowing for sure, when the B fit me as well as it does. Exacerbating this problem is the throttle response. The mechanisms that control the throttle on the B are slightly more refined than on the C, (once again, detailed explanations available over at the VRCC forum), and so the throttle is all around not as much snappier, as it is "jerkier". Also, the transmissions are the same between the B and C, so if you think 1st is short on the B, wait till you get on the same bike 90 pounds lighter. It feels like it's geared to climb a tree. Way too short, and Honda should've ponied up for a different gearing setup, once again, purely in my opinion.

That being said, the Valk was a fun bike to ride on short jaunts. The wind pressure is substantial with no shield, but it is an incredibly satisfying view from the cockpit. Like riding atop a futuristic raging bull. Despite my serious dislikes of a couple of its features, if money were no object, I'd own one again just to futz with the bars to see if I could get them right. But being that money is definitely an object for me, I absolutely love my B. Good luck! Yours is a good dilemma to have!

Jason
    Last edited by Verismo; 07-01-2018 at 06:50 PM.

Jason / Verismo,
    Thanks much, this is exactly the feedback I'm seeking.
    I'm 5'9" with an 11" ------- on my B but I'm still begging for more wind when it is hot but less wind when it is cold.
    The first gear comment interests me greatly because I too believe the 1st gear on the B is terrible. If it is worse on the C.....
    Also, ride by wire is one of the things that has me very interested in the '18 Wing. The throttle control on my '13 FJR was superior to the F6b. Not sure I want to take a step backward there.
    If nothing else, I'll have to pay very special attention to the ergos during the test ride. Sitting on the showroom floor I didn't notice any issues with the bar reach but showroom floor never equals real riding position.
    Thanks much for your response. This will help me focus on the correct area during the test ride.

Cant say anything about the 1800 F6C, as I dont have one but have a 1500 F6C that is the stable mate to my F6B. I love them both and ride each one for different reasons. I am on other forum devoted to both the 1500 and 1800 versions of the F6C. Most really like the newer version, but I hear lots about lack of much aftermarket parts to customize your ride for personal preference. the 1500 is long in the tooth now but still has a pretty good aftermarket customization parts base, and they are cheaper to buy than the 1800 F6C, but I would try one in the future.

Buy the 14 "C" you'll love it. They need to get rid of it, steal it if you can. Try to get then to throw in the extended warranty. The C's handle & ride great & are wicked fast. A buddy has one & you can't pry him off it.

I had a F6C 14 Valkyrie for 2 years before getting my F6B. I like wearing a 1/2 helmet so I had to get the tall windshield which worked out great. I also did saddlebags for convenience around town and LED fog lights for better illumination at night as well as visibility during the day. The F6B has much better illumination at night with the stock halogen bulbs than the Valkyrie’s LED setup. The bags are also larger too while being secure. The F6B sits lower to the ground (due to 1” smaller wheels) and has a lower center of gravity (due to the fuel tank location) than the Valkyrie so to me the bike handles better and is more maneuverable. I really like the audio unit built into the F6B and that was the main reason for looking for a replacement from the Valkyrie. My previous bike was a HD FLTP and I really liked having a fairing and radio.

If I was to get a 2nd bike, it would be a CB1100 for the retro look and wind in the face. The Kawasaki ZL900 retro is cool too.

If if you want more wind in your face, get the OEM Honda Accessory Tall Windscreen with adjustable Vent. Aim it upward to keep the wind from buffeting behind the screen and open for cool ventilation during hot weather. After trying several windshields, I would never buy one without a vent again.

Hope this his insight helps.
    Last edited by Joflewbyu2; 07-01-2018 at 10:53 PM.

Thanks for all the replies. I see a test ride in my future. It doesn't look like there are many aftermarket options available so it better fit me well from the start.

Glad you found the info helpful, Jim. Good luck and happy miles either way!

Jason