Dunlop Elite 4 Tires — First Impressions

Thread: Dunlop Elite 4 Tires — First Impressions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I didn't want to start a new thread, but was wondering how far down most ride their tires. I have right at 11,000 miles on my E 4's, and they need to be replaced. The rear still has a little groove left, but is well into the wear bar.

Do most ride unitl there is no groove, or replace when the wear bar is still visible? I wouldn't do more than a day ride close to home on these, but am I giving up too soon?

Quote Originally Posted by STRaider View Post
    I didn't want to start a new thread, but was wondering how far down most ride their tires. I have right at 11,000 miles on my E 4's, and they need to be replaced. The rear still has a little groove left, but is well into the wear bar.

Do most ride unitl there is no groove, or replace when the wear bar is still visible? I wouldn't do more than a day ride close to home on these, but am I giving up too soon?
    If your riding will keep you near home, you could take 'em down to the barest rubber.
    However, most of us use the bike for 100+ rides and that would not be best.

Another take:
    Since you are at the wear bars AND you know that - it's time to replace them.
    You would be kicking yourself if you had a blowout after knowing that your tires were "technically" worn out.

It's your comfort level.
    If I had a small trailer ready to pick me up, and I wasn't scared of a blowout ruining my bike, I would intentionally ride them down.
    But I don't, and I am scared of a blowout ruining my bike - saw a pic yesterday of a rear tire blowout basically removing most of the ass end of a B.

Risk management - comes in all shapes and sizes.
    What's in your wallet? Lol.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce