Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
The purpose of the wear bars is to tell you that it is time for new tires, maybe safe to putt around town I guess. I think the limited amount of rubber still on the tire makes it susceptible to heat which also makes the rubber wear faster. Thinner tread also makes it more likely to be damaged by a sharp object and of course the reduced traction should be considered. Extending a tire from 10K to 11K is really not a lot of savings. I have not always felt this way and took chances more often when I was younger and wore then into the treads a few times.
I came close to disaster when I left on a trip with a rear OEM Stone at 12,000 miles wear. Rear looked good with relatively decent tread life above wear bar. Took the bike into Hell's Canyon in eastern Oregon -- temps in high 90s -- and that tire burned up in no time. During a morning pre-ride inspection found a six inch strip of thread showing down centre of the tire. Personally, if you're at that 11,00 to 12,000 mile mark and heading out on a trip of any duration -- especially one in high temps -- I'd be thinking seriously about new rubber before leaving. Amazing how fast the tire wears as it gets close to the end of it's life. Won't make that mistake again.