Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    GaTeach
    EC2EFD54-4DC5-4BA0-9EC9-4D8EF4DD9E32.jpeg
    22,000 miles on rear E4. I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by GaTeach View Post
    EC2EFD54-4DC5-4BA0-9EC9-4D8EF4DD9E32.jpeg
    22,000 miles on rear E4. I love them.
    That is incredible. After my weekend ride, I am right at 11,000, and wouldn't do more than a day ride on these tires. I will need to replace the rear soon. I used to run Avons on my Valkyrie, I may give those a try again.

I just put another set of stones on mine. I was right at 9500 miles but with a trip to the black hills last weekend staring me in the face I decided to change. I know if I wasnt going there I could have got 11000 out of those tires. I went with the stones because they worked good for me. I would like to know if anyone running Avons went back to the stones for any reason. I might give those a try next time. Al
    A man can never have to much red wine or to many good books or to much ammunition. Rudyard Kipling

Once I was young and now I am old and everything in the middle went way to damn fast.

Have you ever sat and thought...... Damn Ive been thru a lot of shit.

Throttle and rear tire wear are inversely proportional.

The purpose of the wear bars is to tell you that it is time for new tires, maybe safe to putt around town I guess. I think the limited amount of rubber still on the tire makes it susceptible to heat which also makes the rubber wear faster. Thinner tread also makes it more likely to be damaged by a sharp object and of course the reduced traction should be considered. Extending a tire from 10K to 11K is really not a lot of savings. I have not always felt this way and took chances more often when I was younger and wore then into the treads a few times.

I've worn several sets of Mezzlers beyond the tread on my VTX with no ill effects. I wouldn't do it with any other brand of tire though.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    The purpose of the wear bars is to tell you that it is time for new tires, maybe safe to putt around town I guess. I think the limited amount of rubber still on the tire makes it susceptible to heat which also makes the rubber wear faster. Thinner tread also makes it more likely to be damaged by a sharp object and of course the reduced traction should be considered. Extending a tire from 10K to 11K is really not a lot of savings. I have not always felt this way and took chances more often when I was younger and wore then into the treads a few times.
    I came close to disaster when I left on a trip with a rear OEM Stone at 12,000 miles wear. Rear looked good with relatively decent tread life above wear bar. Took the bike into Hell's Canyon in eastern Oregon -- temps in high 90s -- and that tire burned up in no time. During a morning pre-ride inspection found a six inch strip of thread showing down centre of the tire. Personally, if you're at that 11,00 to 12,000 mile mark and heading out on a trip of any duration -- especially one in high temps -- I'd be thinking seriously about new rubber before leaving. Amazing how fast the tire wears as it gets close to the end of it's life. Won't make that mistake again.