Dunlop Elite 4 Tires — First Impressions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dunlop Elite 4 Tires — First Impressions

Dunlop Elite 4 Tires — First Impressions

I’ve put about 2k miles on my first set of Dunlop Elite 4 tires and I do not like them as well as the Bridgestones that came on the bike. I had tried almost all available tires on my 2002 GL1800 and had concluded years ago that my preference was the Bridgestones, but I thought I’d give the Elite 4s a try.

Observations:
    —A slight wobble in the 35-50mph range. Not significant, but you can definitely feel it. My OEM Bridgestones were Rick stable at all speeds throughout the 10,500 miles I put on them.
    —Really bad on tire snakes. That was one of the things that I did not like with the Elite 3s so I was hoping the Elite 4s would be better. They aren’t. Hot tar snakes make for a scary feeling. Bridgestones were much better.
    —Too much movement on grooved pavement (grooves parallel with the direction of travel). Makes the bike move around to much. Never had this issue with the Bridgestones.
    —Handling. The F6 handled great in curves with the Elite 4s. Felt very stable in twisties, high-speed sweepers, and rolling down the highway (if not grooved). Rode a little on damp/wet roads and they seemed to handle the water well. 107 deg temps no problem (except for the tar snakes). Handling as good as but no better than the Bridgestones.
    —Expect that the Elite 4 mileage will exceed the Bridgestones, but we shall see. My previous experience with Elite 3s resulted in better mileage than Bridgestones, but the Dunlops also cost more than the Bridgestones.

So, as of right now I expect I’ll go back to the Bridgestones when the Dunlops need to be replaced. My assessment of the Bridgestones is that they provide the best overall characteristics and value for GL1800 bikes.

Your results may be different, but these are my impressions.
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

Thanks for the report, I have not tried the E-4s but used to really like the 3s on another bike. Have you tried the Avon Cobras? I really like them also but they do not get the mileage I would like. I have a set of the Stone OEMs ready to mount soon and will have them for the big trip out your way next month. Both the Stones and the Cobras are much less expensive than the Dunlops, Metzs, Michelin or any of the other big names. I do not consider Shinko at all.

I've got over 4k on some Mezzler 888's that are wearing great and handle like a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Chief View Post
    I've got over 4k on some Mezzler 888's that are wearing great and handle like a dream.
    How do they handle the tar snakes?

My experience with Dunlop Elite 4s has been nothing but positive. I just replaced a set that had 19,200 miles on them and they still had some miles left in them. The reason I replaced them is because I am leaving on a long ride Monday. I have never experienced any problems in handling or had any front end wobble. I have followed some friends on grooved pavement in west Texas and they were a lot more squirmy than I was, but two of them were on Harleys. I have however been uncomfortable on tar snakes but I seem to remember the same feeling on Bridgestones. I haven't ridden on Metzlers for about eight or nine years because I had a set that separated and almost stranded me. D&D Discount Motorcycles in Tempe, Arizona where I purchase my tires told me that these new Elite 4s are probably costing him money because his customers are coming less often for tires.

Different people and different bikes lead to different experiences but I just purchased a new set of Elite 4s and plan on enjoying them for about 20,000 miles

Az Wingrider

AZ, that’s good news. Hoping that they will improve with miles. Folks on the GL1800 forum indicate the grooved pavement characteristic, but said the issue went away once the front tire got a little wear on it, so hopefully that takes care of that. Have not been on grooves since about 1k miles. Will update as I get more miles on them.

I hope they do improve for you. If not you will be cussing them for a long time because they wear like iron. As for tar snakes. Every tire on every bike I have ever ridden has been uncomfortable when I encounter tar snakes. When I see tar snakes I tell myself to stay loose and go with it but I always experience that "Ah Crap" moment. If you find a set of tires that feel stable in tar snakes sign me up for a set.

Enjoy your ride and see you next month.

I totally agree with F6Bster, this is my second set of the elite4’s. The first set I got 19k on them I checked the tire pressure every ride 40 front 42 rear. On this set has the same characteristics that F6Bster is talking about 35/40mph wobble, last set never did that. Yes I have the fork brace. Next tires for me will be the Stones.

Avon front, E-4 rear. 10k miles looks, rides, handles GREAT.

Amen..I am on my second set of E4's have had great experiences with them...Stones were crap at 10k...did not like the way they performed and sounded. E4's are a great alternative for me anyway.