Dunlop Elite 4 Tires — First Impressions - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dunlop Elite 4 Tires — First Impressions

I've always had great luck with AVON's … they make a set just for the GW. Call AVON USA for their P/N. Got mine from Dennis Kirk, $303 F&R delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewreck View Post
    How do they handle the tar snakes?
    I've had no issues with them on tar snakes what so ever.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Bster View Post
    I’ve put about 2k miles on my first set of Dunlop Elite 4 tires and I do not like them as well as the Bridgestones that came on the bike. I had tried almost all available tires on my 2002 GL1800 and had concluded years ago that my preference was the Bridgestones, but I thought I’d give the Elite 4s a try.

Observations:
    —A slight wobble in the 35-50mph range. Not significant, but you can definitely feel it. My OEM Bridgestones were Rick stable at all speeds throughout the 10,500 miles I put on them.
    —Really bad on tire snakes. That was one of the things that I did not like with the Elite 3s so I was hoping the Elite 4s would be better. They aren’t. Hot tar snakes make for a scary feeling. Bridgestones were much better.
    —Too much movement on grooved pavement (grooves parallel with the direction of travel). Makes the bike move around to much. Never had this issue with the Bridgestones.
    —Handling. The F6 handled great in curves with the Elite 4s. Felt very stable in twisties, high-speed sweepers, and rolling down the highway (if not grooved). Rode a little on damp/wet roads and they seemed to handle the water well. 107 deg temps no problem (except for the tar snakes). Handling as good as but no better than the Bridgestones.
    —Expect that the Elite 4 mileage will exceed the Bridgestones, but we shall see. My previous experience with Elite 3s resulted in better mileage than Bridgestones, but the Dunlops also cost more than the Bridgestones.

So, as of right now I expect I’ll go back to the Bridgestones when the Dunlops need to be replaced. My assessment of the Bridgestones is that they provide the best overall characteristics and value for GL1800 bikes.

Your results may be different, but these are my impressions.
    I have Elite 4's and like them, but reading through your post, I have to agree. I do like the handling through turns, as when I ride, I try to get off of highways, looking for lots of backroads and corners. I will say I have hit some tar snakes and noticed much more of a loose feeling with the E4's, even though I didn't attribute it to the tires, just didn't make the connection. I'm at about 10,000 miles and need to replace them very soon. I don't want to come out and call Bullshit on everyone claiming 19,000 and 20,000 miles on tires, but I just don't see how this is happening. The only thing I can think of is the area ridden (better pavement), slower speeds, not much acceleration? I've never been close to 20,000 miles on a set. I would love to know the secret. I check my air pressures almost everytime I get on the bike. Running 42 rear and 41 front.

Helped a buddy in his MC shop & found Dunlop's have a very hard / stiff sidewall compared to other brands. They tend to wear in the center more so too, perhaps because the sidewall's not flexing. I think all HD's come w/ Dunlop 402 w/ HD's name in the sidewall.

Quote Originally Posted by STRaider View Post
    I have Elite 4's and like them, but reading through your post, I have to agree. I do like the handling through turns, as when I ride, I try to get off of highways, looking for lots of backroads and corners. I will say I have hit some tar snakes and noticed much more of a loose feeling with the E4's, even though I didn't attribute it to the tires, just didn't make the connection. I'm at about 10,000 miles and need to replace them very soon. I don't want to come out and call Bullshit on everyone claiming 19,000 and 20,000 miles on tires, but I just don't see how this is happening. The only thing I can think of is the area ridden (better pavement), slower speeds, not much acceleration? I've never been close to 20,000 miles on a set. I would love to know the secret. I check my air pressures almost everytime I get on the bike. Running 42 rear and 41 front.
    I have 14k on my rear e4 at the moment. I am leaving for stugis next week and visually it looks like I will have enough tread, however, like you I have never had a tire last nearly this long on any of my other bikes. It definitely makes me nervous knowing how many miles are on this tire but then I peek under the fender and try to believe what I am seeing. I am on the fence about replacing it early (simply to ease my disbelief) or letting it ride. Have a week to decide.....

This may be unbelievable, but Teach's rear E4 is on display at Cycle World in Athens, GA. 22,000 on it. I have a pic somewhere, but not on this pc. She loves the darn things.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Changing out my rear E4 today. Sticking with the same thing. I am very happy with the tread life and performance of this tire. 15k miles with some life left, but with a big trip coming I am going to swap it out.
    When that open road starts to callin’ me,
    There’s something over the hill that I gotta see

~Hank Williams

GaTeach
    EC2EFD54-4DC5-4BA0-9EC9-4D8EF4DD9E32.jpeg
    22,000 miles on rear E4. I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by GaTeach View Post
    EC2EFD54-4DC5-4BA0-9EC9-4D8EF4DD9E32.jpeg
    22,000 miles on rear E4. I love them.
    That is incredible. After my weekend ride, I am right at 11,000, and wouldn't do more than a day ride on these tires. I will need to replace the rear soon. I used to run Avons on my Valkyrie, I may give those a try again.

I just put another set of stones on mine. I was right at 9500 miles but with a trip to the black hills last weekend staring me in the face I decided to change. I know if I wasnt going there I could have got 11000 out of those tires. I went with the stones because they worked good for me. I would like to know if anyone running Avons went back to the stones for any reason. I might give those a try next time. Al
    A man can never have to much red wine or to many good books or to much ammunition. Rudyard Kipling

Once I was young and now I am old and everything in the middle went way to damn fast.

Have you ever sat and thought...... Damn Ive been thru a lot of shit.