Bluetooth in saddlebag? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth in saddlebag?

I bought a Bluetooth receiver and plugged it in the saddlebags. Paired the phone and played the GPS directions through the bike speakers. Didn't try to listen to music or use handlebar controls but it was only $8.99 and worked for what I needed. At that price, worth a try.

Can you provide the model of the BT receiver you used . I can't seem to find one that will work with the USB connection alone Thanks

TPCROMEER USB Bluetooth receiver on Amazon.

There are a few threads on this one of which links to one of the dongles that works. I'll look a bit for the one I use.

USB Extension Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Ixol Phaane View Post
    I'd suggest using a USB thumb drive/memory stick rather than your phone.
    Load it up with many gigs of tunes and leave it plugged into the saddlebag port. Control all the playback from the hand controls.
    So easy to replace the tune list if you have your songs on a computer.

OR...
    run a USB extension cable from the trunk back up to the front of the bike where your phone will be. Easy.

Ride safe.

I tried this just last week and with the extended cable it would not power my iPhone X. I have been running with an iPod Nano that I picked up a few years ago exclusively to have it live in the saddlebag for music. But I wanted to start using my phone for the GPS app and thought if I just need to extend the cable I would have a winner. No such luck. Maybe one of the tech guys can chime in as to why this didn't work with the longer cable? BTW... the Nano would work with the longer cable setup. Just not the phone. Which I assume means that the phone requires more power and that's why it didn't work. IDK??

Quote Originally Posted by No Handle Sam View Post
    I tried this just last week and with the extended cable it would not power my iPhone X. I have been running with an iPod Nano that I picked up a few years ago exclusively to have it live in the saddlebag for music. But I wanted to start using my phone for the GPS app and thought if I just need to extend the cable I would have a winner. No such luck. Maybe one of the tech guys can chime in as to why this didn't work with the longer cable? BTW... the Nano would work with the longer cable setup. Just not the phone. Which I assume means that the phone requires more power and that's why it didn't work. IDK??
    Does your X work with a short cord in the saddle bag? Are you using an Apple Cord or an aftermarket cord? Personally the BT Dongle I listed earlier and a power port in the cubby have worked fine with my I6. My main issue with the setup is the periotic drop off. My phone in particular seems to be overly sensitive to interference. Generally its not an issue but now and again it will freak out.

I'm not a super tech guy, however I've found that Apple likes to play games with what can connect to their devices and whether or not they will work with aftermarket cords. And it will be random whether or not you update your phone as they push background updates continuously that will cause items that have been working all along to stop.
    Last edited by 3Chief; 07-24-2018 at 11:14 AM.

Yes. My iPhone X works with the short cable that I keep in the bag for the Nano. But when you replace the short cable (1') with a longer one (9') the X just "blinks" as if it is being plugged and unplugged rapidly from a charger. But the Nano still works fine with the 9' cable. (Both are 3rd party cables)

I'd try it again with an Apple cable. Although you'll pay thru the nose for one that length.

I also use a cheap Bluetooth dongle in the left saddlebag. I believe you loose some of the menu functions as well as the song and artist displaying on the dash. But with my phone on a ram x-mount near the left grip I can change music and see whatever I need displayed on my I phone. I too loose connection at times but a quick key off and back on usually resets and restores the dongle connection to the bike.