First Time Crash

Thread: First Time Crash

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Been riding for the better part of 40 years. Have been down several times, though never seriously injured on a street bike. Did break a leg riding on a beach on a Honda ATC (3 wheel) once upon a time....OH may have been a factor in that incident.

Have had 3 minor brushes with cages on the street resulting in 1 bike totaled, 1 broken and 1 scraped, and each with an amount of road rash... 1 road debris incident, 1 close encounter with a stationary object and 1 overcorrection whilst avoiding teen hooligans on a dark street. (Hey you kids, shouldn't you be at home on a school night!?)
    By my count I may have only 2 lives left, but I won't waste energy on worries and I don't want to let fear darken my life. Life is for living so I'm gonna keep riding.

As an EMT I've seen some things over the years... multiple rider fatalities from single cager incidents... new ignorant rider fatalities (Hey, Bubba, watch this!)... seasoned rider fatalities (Hey, Bubba, watch this!)
    All we can do is practice safe riding, stay alert, stay sober and stay defensive. Some things we can never control or avoid... but many others we can.

Life is full of risks. Ride long enough and everybody goes down. Why do we go down? So we can learn how to pick ourselves up.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in Cortez and/or Cherokee next month.
    Ride safe!
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

I'm recovering right now from a rear end hit 2 weeks ago. I was on Rt195 that goes from Providence out towards the Cape. At a very well known area in New Bedford, the highway narrows from 3 lanes to 2. I saw traffic slowing ahead, so backed off slightly. The kid ( 26 ) behind me never did, hitting me, in his words to the State Police, at 75 mph. I'm still battered and bruised, but all in all, lucky to be alive. Actually this morning, I'm going to RI Hospital for a follow up on the trauma part. Next month I go back to see if a fracture on T9 spine bone is healing on it's own.

This was my second time getting hit in 4 years. The previous one left me with a dislocated ankle. On that one, I was immobilized, but not much pain. I couldn't wait to get another bike and ride again. With this one, I'm mobile but suffering. I have a big decision to make later on, but in my case, I'm seriously leaning towards giving it up. I feel that luck isn't on my side with motorcycles. I love it. I don't have much else going on in my life. Twice in 4 years, neither one my fault, is screaming at telling me enough is enough.

I've talked to guys who have been riding for 50 years with no incidents, and have talked to guys who have had multiple and still riding. Time will tell. Have to see how I come out of this physically. Don't know if this helps you or not, but it's my story.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.