I've been riding around 49 years. Motorcycles are my primary mode of transportation. Life is just too short to drive a cage when it can be avoided. I'm 61 now and started riding around age 12.

I had knee surgery 25 years ago due to hill climbing/trail riding injuries which happened when I was a teen. About 10 years ago I broke my lower right leg on my Valkyrie. I was looking for my cornering limits and I guess I found them on that particular corner on that particular day. I was cornering hard with my right boot and footpeg on the road when both tires washed out in some crushed acorns the shade and my sunglasses hid from me. Right foot wound up wedged under the pipes, (I think I tried to stand the bike up with my foot but not sure) I felt the leg break, the bike was sliding and my leg was trapped. Then I got out of the acorns, bike stood up and all was good except for the leg. Couldn't stop because I couldn't hold the bike up with my right leg so I could put the kickstand down. I grabbed my pant leg and got my foot back on the peg, then tottered along pretty slow till I was sure I wasn't going to puke or pass out. Then rode the 25 miles home and got the wife to put down the stand, get me into the car and take me to the hospital. Wound up with a steel plate and 7 screws in the leg. First place I rode when I was off the crutches was the corner I broke it on to make sure I didn't have any phobias, I didn't.

A couple of years later, there had still never been a day the leg didn't hurt and I started to see the heads of some of the screws pushing up under the skin because they were coming out of the bone....

Another surgery to remove the plate and 6 of the screws (still got one) didn't turn out so well. Had my son shine a flashlight down the cast to see what was going on because the pain was horrible. Leg had opened up, bone was visible and it was starting to stink. Infected!! Then it was emergency surgery and a wound vac for a couple of months. When I could walk and ride again I headed for the same corner. All was still good, dragging my right boot in corners does sometimes make me flinch though.

The way I see it, if you ride long enough riding will always be fatal. Therefore the goal is the be lucky enough, and to ride well enough that you die of something else first.

As far as the odds of being in another accident, I couldn't even guess.