Been riding for the better part of 40 years. Have been down several times, though never seriously injured on a street bike. Did break a leg riding on a beach on a Honda ATC (3 wheel) once upon a time....OH may have been a factor in that incident.

Have had 3 minor brushes with cages on the street resulting in 1 bike totaled, 1 broken and 1 scraped, and each with an amount of road rash... 1 road debris incident, 1 close encounter with a stationary object and 1 overcorrection whilst avoiding teen hooligans on a dark street. (Hey you kids, shouldn't you be at home on a school night!?)
By my count I may have only 2 lives left, but I won't waste energy on worries and I don't want to let fear darken my life. Life is for living so I'm gonna keep riding.

As an EMT I've seen some things over the years... multiple rider fatalities from single cager incidents... new ignorant rider fatalities (Hey, Bubba, watch this!)... seasoned rider fatalities (Hey, Bubba, watch this!)
All we can do is practice safe riding, stay alert, stay sober and stay defensive. Some things we can never control or avoid... but many others we can.

Life is full of risks. Ride long enough and everybody goes down. Why do we go down? So we can learn how to pick ourselves up.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in Cortez and/or Cherokee next month.
Ride safe!